Aero rims?

munkster
munkster Posts: 819
edited May 2014 in Workshop
So I've built three pairs of (road) wheels now: one pair of decent average all purpose ones (28/32), one pair of bombproof touring ones (32/36) and one pair of silly light (1360g!) "climbing" ones (24/28) with thin spokes and alu nips.

My thoughts are now turning to some "aero" ones, anyone got any suggestions for rims, not ridiculously expensive, and probably not (?) carbon therefore for that very reason. How about IRD Cadence Aero for example? At 30mm deep would there be any aero benefit at all? I'm thinking for use on fast flat club runs mainly. Any general thoughts on aero wheels? How do people find them compared to regular section rims? Ta.

Comments

• desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    See, you've got the same problem as me. You enjoy building wheels, but how many wheels can 1 person really build for their own use?

I don't think you get anything from 30mm deep compared to a shallow box rim - go 50mm or deeper.

FWIW if I was going to have a shot at deep section carbon rims I'd go full on - 80mm at least! You'll need new tools though.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • munkster
    Hehe, yep, nail on the head, I just enjoy building them! The fact that they have all stayed round and true with no issues after 500+ miles (haven't ridden any one set more than that yet) is a definite encouragement as well. And if I can do it...

At present I've only got one pair of wheels "spare" so it's not got totally silly yet, and that pair I didn't build myself... Will research 50mm as a starter then. Cheers.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    DesWeller wrote:
    I don't think you get anything from 30mm deep compared to a shallow box rim - go 50mm or deeper.

No evidence - just conjecture and clearly from someone who has never ridden a deep rim in windy conditions!

FWIW IRD Cadence is a Kinlin, but for more aero look at the Kinlin XR380 - at 38mm it's the same as used by American Classic. Get them up to 50kph and they're noticeably quicker than a regular alloy rim and not much slower than a 50mm carbon rim. If you want to build with carbon, look at Gigantex or Planet-X but do invest in a tension meter as there's little room for error.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,272
    munkster wrote:
    Hehe, yep, nail on the head, I just enjoy building them! The fact that they have all stayed round and true with no issues after 500+ miles (haven't ridden any one set more than that yet) is a definite encouragement as well. And if I can do it...

At present I've only got one pair of wheels "spare" so it's not got totally silly yet, and that pair I didn't build myself... Will research 50mm as a starter then. Cheers.

At this point your mates should have started bugging you to build them some wheels... jump on the opportunity, otherwise you'll end up filling your shed of wheels which all do the same job... frankly pointless
    left the forum March 2023
  • munkster
    Yep, got a (Park) tension meter...

And yeah, Ugo, I've already sold one pair of my wheels to a mate, not quite built to order but he's very happy with them! I must have very tight mates eh... Re: filling shed with wheels that do the same job, that's kind of why I was posting about building something a little different. All three pairs I've built so far couldn't be described as similar I don't think. Unless you count "round" of course :mrgreen:

Will take a look at the Kinlin XR380. Cheers all, this is all good stuff.
  • munkster
    Found those Kinlin XR380 rims in this country at Total Cycling (£79.99 a pop). In theory cheaper to buy from the US from BikeHubStore for example but if anything like last time I will probably get stung for import/VAT so would work out largely the same.

Anyone know anywhere else in the UK that sells Kinlin rims? Cheers.
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    sdeals do Kinlin but don't have the XR380 listed.
  • ugo.santalucia
    I think Totalcycling price is good, get them...
    Measure the rim bed and if it's paper thin, use some Sapim rim washers to reinforce it... they weigh very little, but they help a lot
  • munkster
    get them...

That kind of talk often costs me a lot of money ;-)

Thanks for the advice though, appreciated.
  • ugo.santalucia
    munkster wrote:
    get them...

That kind of talk often costs me a lot of money ;-)

Thanks for the advice though, appreciated.

They are cheaper than any other rim of similar profile and comparable weight. You can get something like H plus Son SL 42, but they are much heavier and I don't think they come in anything lower than 28 H
  • munkster
    Any views on whether to go with Novatec or BikeHubStore hubs on this build for lightweight at good price? I've built with both and can't see much to choose, other than the latter's rear hub is lighter? I am assuming they aren't one and the same but with different branding - the rears are totally different shapes for example...

Am thinking 20/24 radial on front, 2x on back but not averse to 2x on the front if it's viable.
  • ugo.santalucia
    With Novatec you can easily source spare parts if are needed... IMO it's the most important requirement when you choose a set of hubs, more important than the hubs themselves, which are often much of a muchness
  • munkster
    That is definitely on my mind yes. Having replaced bearings on Novatec hubs now (thanks to help off here, I hasten to add) at least I know how to do that... Novatec is it then, look out BDop here I come!
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Yes, Novatec hubs would be my choice too
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • munkster
    Me again. Have since thought I might go all in and look at deeper, carbon rims, of the Chinese variety, wider too.

Building these up with CX Rays and Novatec hubs look like they'll cost about £370.

But then when I look at things like this, a full wheelset, albeit slightly lardier, for about £100 less, I wonder why I am bothering to build them myself.

Just so many options when it comes to these generic carbon rims it's mindblowing.
  • ugo.santalucia
    Well, they use CN spokes, which are not exactly outstanding... the quality of the build is probably crap too and you can expect spokes to be too long, so not necessarily something you can address. You spend more but you get more

HAve you seen these?

http://paolocoppo.drupalgardens.com/con ... ncher-rims
  • munkster
    Yeah I read that actually but on the farsports shop I couldn't see rims only complete wheels. Am I missing something??

[edit]
    I emailed them last night actually and they have replied..."Yes, we have 50mmx23mm clincher rims. Our new U shape model FSL50CM-23, Unit price US$163/pc." - at $55 for shipping this makes them £50 pricier than those other eBay rims. Ugo, do you think they're worth the extra then?

ps - this is absolutely golden advice/help too, I really do appreciate it :)
    [/edit]
  • ugo.santalucia
    I have not seen the Ebay ones, so I don't know if the Farsports are worth the extra. I stand for what I said in the article on my blog. They seem well assembled, but I wouldn't trust them for anything braking related... that doesn't mean they don't brake well or they explode, I just wouldn't trust them as I only have one life, AFAIK
  • ugo.santalucia
  • munkster
    Nice, was more thinking about 50mm rims now though if I'm going carbon so that they are appreciably "different" to my other wheels I use on the bike. 38mm vs 50mm though - I wonder if there's any threads on the internet on that debate :shock:

Those do look interesting though. Any experience of flyxii.com? eg. http://flyxii.com/products_1.asp?menuid=359&id=1309