Chain device/ taco/ bash

pesky_jones
pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
edited May 2014 in MTB buying advice
Looking for the best option.

I plan on going 1x10 zee with clutch derailleur. The crankset is zee( crank arms n ring)

I need protection, as well as chain retention - hopefully all in one.

I think superstar slider device is good, but no taco. Any other ideas? Il go with this if no one suggests otherwise.

Don't mind going up to £90 if it's a good alternative.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Bash in conjunction with either a narrow-wide ring or inner guide ring is all you need....sorted!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • pesky_jones
    I'm not convinced by n/w.

I used to run 1x10 zee crankset on my other bike, with zee clutch derailleur, with a e13 top guide and roller - and it worked absolutely fine.

Then all the n/w stuff happened and I replaced the zee single ring with a raceface n/w (so I took the chain device off). Worked fine at local trails, and chicks ands. But when I took it to Aston hill I kept loosing it on the roots, happened like every other run.
  • pesky_jones
    Do you not think I need a bottom roller?
  • The Rookie
    If you use a bash and inner guide ring then you get upper and lower retention.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • pesky_jones
    Bash doesn't retain the bottom though? Just a plate that sits in front?
  • The Rookie
    Depends what you mean by retain, the chain is trapped between the inner and outer guide rings and the only place it can then 'fall' to is the chainring, works 100% on mine and I've never had a retention issue despite having an ageing XTR rear mech (9 speed, no clutch) and doing quite a few different sets of steps at speed.

It's also visually a very neat solution and very light, the extra weight over just the chainring is a mere 140g although that is with a lightweight 68g Bash.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    A bash doesn't retain the chain. A bottom roller does the job properly.
    I have tried various chain devices and always find the ethirteen just seem to get it right in every application. They are expensive but worth it.
    The TRS+ or LG1+ should do you although I quite like the bombproof SRS+
  • pesky_jones
    Yea

It's a shame this doesn't fit my frame. I want the old iscg I think

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/e-thirteen-ls1-chain-guide-inc-taco/rp-prod50666
  • pesky_jones
    The TRS+ or LG1+ should do you although I quite like the bombproof SRS+

I'm going to get this, it's the same as the lg1+, but half the price

http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=56&products_id=818
  • The Rookie
    A bash doesn't retain the chain.
    Have you ever actually tried it?