Change chain ring on an attached bracket

mountainlion
mountainlion Posts: 22
edited May 2014 in Workshop
I recently had my bike stolen and I'm trying to narrow down my new choice. I'm interested in the merida cyclo cross 4 but I'd like to change the 46/36 chainset to a 52/36. The BB is attached however. Does this mean that I can't just buy a 52 chain ring but have to buy a new crank as well?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    I recently had my bike stolen and I'm trying to narrow down my new choice. I'm interested in the merida cyclo cross 4 but I'd like to change the 46/36 chainset to a 52/36. The BB is attached however. Does this mean that I can't just buy a 52 chain ring but have to buy a new crank as well?
    And again in English?

What are the cranks?

If the rings are riveted then yes you might need new cranks.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Assuming its a typical CX chainset with a 110 PCD then yes, just buy a 52 chainring with a 110 PCD.
  • Sorry if I didn't make sense but on the description it says the bb is attached and I want to know how much it will cost to change only the 46 chain ring. I don't know if the rings are riveted or not and I'm having difficulty getting any contact from the more technical sales people. Is it definite that I can't just buy a single replacement chain ring?
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Sorry - can you post a link. B/bs are not attached - they screw into the frame and the cranks bolt onto them.

Or am I missing something?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • dyrlac
    dyrlac Posts: 751
    Made a similar switch recently as 46/36 is the worst. You can buy a single chainring with however many teeth you want from CRC or wiggle or ebay or whatever (needs to be 110mm BCD as noted above). What will happen though is that you'll strip the chainring bolts, because doing it properly by taking off the crank and getting it into a vise is a faff. Then you can go to Evans and pay £20 for them to drill out the old bolts and install the chainring. Your mileage may vary though. Oh, you may need to add a couple of links to your chain as well.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Why will you strip the bolts? So long as you aren't ham fisted they will come out fine. Hold back of bolt. Insert Allen key. Turn.

Clean everything. Loads of copper slip. Retighten as per proper method (ie diagonally, initially finger tight then full tight).

Like everything, 7 Ps, care, attention.

Job jobbed.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.