Hi New here And newbie to riding with a problem

skinnylad77
skinnylad77 Posts: 10
edited May 2014 in MTB beginners
Hi me and the wife are just getting in to a lot of mtb at the min and loving it :-)

we was at Sherwood pines at the weekend since then i seem to have a problem with my rear wheel
when i spin it there seems to be some resistance to the point that it stops moving quite suddenly (the brakes are fine) I thought maybe it had just got a lot of dirt into the bearings so i have stripped them and cleaned and re greased them today but it is still doing it any ideas ??? could it be the cassette ???

while at Sherwood the up hill just got harder and the down hill seemed to be a struggle to (having to peddle quite a bit) just seemed to be slowing down a lot

If anybody could help as im confused now and just want to get back on my bike :-(
thanks in advance

kev :D

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Bike is?
    Wheel is?
    Brakes are?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • skinnylad77
    Sorry all new to me
    bike is a carrera kracken
    Brakes are tektro auriga comp
    and wheel is wpp

Hope this helps :-(
  • skinnylad77
    It is also very loud when spinning the wheel
    if it was a car i would say wheel bearing
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    After you cleaned the bearings did you use proper cone spanners to tighten things up, assuming cup and cone.
    If not the bearings could be tightening up as you ride.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,415
    As above. I'd remove rear wheel. Remove brake pads. Refit wheel but not chain to sprockets. Tighten quick release. Spin wheel both ways lots of times. If it spins easy from the go then it will be a brake/pad issue. If it gets harder/looser then it will be a bearing issue as per Cooldad above. Also hold wheel still and at rim with fingers check side to side for wobble. If correct you might detect the very slightest of movement. I'm talking barely perceptible here. If it's too loose/tight you'll know.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• skinnylad77
    Thanks guys i will have a look tomorrow :-)
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    I would remove wheel and quick release. Then try spinning the wheel while it is off the bike. If it is stiff then the hub is the issue and is most likely too stiff or less likely faulty. I did my QR up too tight which over time caused the front wheel to bind.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Sorry all new to me
    bike is a carrera kracken
    Brakes are tektro auriga comp
    and wheel is wpp

Hope this helps :-(
    Haha, it's actually ddm for the wheel, the wheel is by formula.

It can only be the bearings or the brakes, can you turn the axle in the wheel with your fingers (wheel off the bike)?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • skinnylad77
    Yeah kind of it seems to have a spot where it seems to catch there is a gap on one side where it looks like a bearing would fit but I have equal amounts each side (9) is this right? Give me a car engine Any day lol
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    9 is correct - but are you adjusting the bearings correctly ie with cone spanners?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The bearing needs to spin easily with your fingers or the extra compression from the QR will lock it up.

Are the lock nuts done up tight against the back of the cones? If not they can rotate with the wheel and end up tightening themselves up to the point of nearly locking the wheel.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • skinnylad77
    Sorted now looks like it was me trying to use the wrong tools woops
    All done now thanks to you guys thank you to you all
    been out for a quick 10 miles tonight and all seems fine except for the bloody puncture 5 mins in lol

thank you again :-)