650b Mudguard

piepie
piepie Posts: 5
edited May 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi peeps I have purchased a new bike with 650b wheels running hans damph tyres and a Rockshox Pike Rct3 fork. The brace across the fork legs is pretty tight to the wheel. I was just wondering what mudguards any of you might be using with this sort of set up.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Mucky Nutz.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • piepie
    Sorry should have mentioned I have one of those and it does tend to rub the hans does have a slight distortion in it. Where the fork legs are a larger dia to allow for the wiper seals it pushes the mucky nuts in hence slight rubbing. I can move it about to stop it but soon as I hit the rough stuff the mucky nuts moves to its natural position and the rubbing starts again.
  • ej2320
    ej2320 Posts: 1,543
    I have a pike with 2.35 650b Hans Dampfs and it works fine for me
    Make sure the Velcro is tight
  • I have the mucky nuts & marsh guard,much prefer the marsh guard
  • piepie
    Tried again with my mucky nuts took the wheel out to make sure i could do the straps tight put the wheel on and its still rubbing its actually catching the top of the tyre. Why on earth did Rockshox make that brace so low an extra 5mm higher surely wouldnt have spoilt any of the dynamics of the fork
  • ej2320
    I'm not sure why that's happening

I have 650b Pike RCT3 with a 650b 2.35 Hans Dampf and the mucky nutz doesn't catch and there's a decent bit of clearance

May seem stupid but are you sure your fork is actually the 650b version?
  • piepie
    Hi ej2320

Its definitely the 650b fork. I did have my doubts mind but giving the bike a clean the other day and saw a sticker on the rear of the fork leg stating that is was 27.5" fork.

Anyway been down to my LBS today to discuss it and decided to buy a new mucky nuts and take a chance. Fitted and its perfect. I think the old one has kind of moulded itself to the shape of my old Fox 36's and maybe this was causing it to not fit correctly.
  • ej2320
    I suppose it's possible the plastic could've deformed.. At the end of the day it is only plastic!
    At least they're cheap to replace