Canyon Ultimate CF SL 9.0

nammynake
nammynake Posts: 196
edited July 2014 in Your road bikes
Arrived on Friday. Maiden voyage will be tomorrow.

Ultegra 11 speed (compact) groupset
Mavic Ksyrium Elite S clinchers
Ultegra carbon SPD-SL pedals

ugg8.jpg

Approx 7.4kg with pedals and bottle cages. Full spec here:

http://www.canyon.com/_en/roadbikes/bik ... ab-reiter1

Comments

• Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Yum yum, Bombay Saphire!
  • nammynake
    Garry H wrote:
    Yum yum, Bombay Saphire!

Indeed! Matches the colour of my bike too :lol:
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    Lovely, that colour way matches our club kit.

Waiting to see if they are going to do the new endurance, frame only. My racing days are over but from what I read these ride lovely too.

Just as a matter of interest , what size are you riding? I m on 56cm on everything else but when I plug my dimensions into the Canyon sizing tool it comes up with 53 , which I think is way too small, I m a smidgen under 6 foot and in proportion trunk, arms and legs.

There a few of these out and about now, might have to pluck up the courage next time I see someone on one to ask if I can swing a leg over it to get an idea of sizing.

Gorgeous bike, Enjoy
  • bobbydazzla
    bobbydazzla Posts: 289
    tim wand wrote:

Waiting to see if they are going to do the new endurance, frame only. My racing days are over but from what I read these ride lovely too.

Just as a matter of interest , what size are you riding? I m on 56cm on everything else but when I plug my dimensions into the Canyon sizing tool it comes up with 53 , which I think is way too small, I m a smidgen under 6 foot and in proportion trunk, arms and legs.

There a few of these out and about now, might have to pluck up the courage next time I see someone on one to ask if I can swing a leg over it to get an idea of sizing.

Gorgeous bike, Enjoy

Email Canyon HQ in Germany with your dimensions and your preferred style of riding, they should get back in touch with a recommendation on frame size. One of their team called me and we talked things through, I got the right size frame.

I'm a smidgen over 6ft and ride a 58.
  • nammynake
    tim wand wrote:

Gorgeous bike, Enjoy

I am 5'8" and went for the 53. I think that would be too small for 6ft, probably better with 56 or maybe 58.
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    I'm 6ft and have the large.

I ve measured centre to centre bottom bracket to top tube on the seat tube and
    seat tube centre to headtube centre along the top tube, basically measurements A and B on the Canyon site
    Off my current bike and it most closely corresponds to a large.

Will look out for some of their bikes at Shows or Rides so I can get a chance to check.

Isnt the stem on the Canyon unique to their fork so difficult to change if the stem length is wrong to another brand other than the Ritchey/ Syntace supplied.
  • 6wheels
    6wheels Posts: 411
    6ft 1" and have the large.
  • historacle
    historacle Posts: 6
    How has no-one mentioned the bike on the worktop yet?!?!?!?
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    Very unhygenic! ;)

Lovely bike. I've got the same in black and size M(56)
    I had it out for it's first proper big ride on Saturday, a 140km sportive. Loved it!
    Very smooth ride and the direct and precise handling just feels right to me compared to my much more relaxed previous bike.

@Tim Wand
    I'm 1.78m (5'10") with an inseam of approx 835-840mm. I like the saddle a little forward of typical position and the measurement from the centre of the BB to the top of the saddle inline with the seatpost is 748mm. The M is about spot on for me. I would think at just under 6 foot the M(56) would probably be fine or the L(58) if you want slightly more reach and you're not bothered about massively aggressive drop.

The stem is a larger diameter than standard so less convenient to swap but there are some options available including Canyon switching it for you.
  • Price_jg
    Price_jg Posts: 17
    Historacle wrote:
    How has no-one mentioned the bike on the worktop yet?!?!?!?

Ha ha. I noticed! My misses would go mad if I put my bike on the kitchen worktop!
  • nammynake
    In my defence the bike was straight out of its box!

First ride today and really impressed with the bike. Did one of my usual routes of 56 miles and 3800 ft of ascent.

Groupset, wheels, geometry, weight, stiffness - excellent! I started writing a more detailed review but my tablet crashed :evil:

Summary: a very noticeable improvement over my Specialized Allez (with 105 and Fulcrum 5s). It's the first carbon bike I've ridden and although it's very stiff the ride is much more comfortable than the Allez, which feels very harsh in comparison.
  • n3crophile
    n3crophile Posts: 52
    Very nice, I like the colour and lines of these Canyons.
  • Vandiesel
    Vandiesel Posts: 506
    Quality that! Looks fast.
    Giant TCR Composite 3
  • nammynake
    Vandiesel wrote:
    Quality that! Looks fast.

No doubt hampered by its rider!

Still managed 16.9mph over my ride today which is near my top end for that particular route. Seemed to fly up the hills, no doubt helped by the frame/wheel stiffness and approx 1.5kg lighter than my Allez. Only a few seconds off one of my PBs which I've not been very close to since last year:

http://www.strava.com/activities/145757 ... 3337217235
  • turbote
    turbote Posts: 24
    Wow, what a beauty! Personally my favourite colour scheme of all the canyon's by a long margin! Enjoy!
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    The difference I found with my Canyon was it felt like every effort I was making was being transferred onto the road, my Cube whilst still a good bike feels like some of that power is being lost.
  • adowling92
    adowling92 Posts: 225
    nammynake wrote:
    Arrived on Friday. Maiden voyage will be tomorrow.

Ultegra 11 speed (compact) groupset
    Mavic Ksyrium Elite S clinchers
    Ultegra carbon SPD-SL pedals

ugg8.jpg

Approx 7.4kg with pedals and bottle cages. Full spec here:

http://www.canyon.com/_en/roadbikes/bik ... ab-reiter1

Pride of place on the Kitchen side ;) Looks nice pal!
    Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. --John F. Kennedy
  • Miles253
    Miles253 Posts: 535
    Love it, i really like this colour scheme, its a bit different to the rest. How long did you wait for the bike?
    Canyon Roadlite AL-Shamal Wheels-Centaur/Veloce Group
    Canyon Ult CF SL- Spin Koppenberg-Ultegra group