Regular carbon Tallboy or LTc plus a comparable hardtail.

pigglet
pigglet Posts: 68
edited May 2014 in MTB buying advice
Right, bear with me on this as it sounds bit weird!
I'm currently riding an entry level 29er HT after finding it sooo much faster and comfier than my super light weight and pretty high spec own build 26erHT.
I've just about worn the 29er out so I need to sort something else out.
I live and ride on the edge of the North York moors so there is quite a lot of hard climbing plus some fast and rocky descents. Despite a flirtation with an SC Bullit in AM guise about 12 years ago I've always favoured light and fast XC type hard tails but a dicky back and age are starting to make me think a modern full susser is the way to go. A mate has just got a Zesty 650b and I can't keep up with him either uphill or down now! I want a Tallboy frame in either regular carbon or LTc flavour but at the moment can't afford one. My plan is to build up a comparable HT frame and then swap everything onto a Tallboy when I have the pennies. So with that in mind first I need to find out whether a standard Tallboy or LT would be best suited for as that will dictate which fork I get to put on a hard tail.
My ride length tends to be a couple of hours on week night rides and either half or full day rides at the weekend.
As said there is a lot of tough climbing but we also like to run flat out down hill (last one to the pub buys the beer and we are hitting 50mph). I don't and won't be racing, my riding is purely recreational, I weigh about 11 stone at 5-10 so average build.

My thoughts are if going for a regular TB then I'll get a pair of 100 or 120mm Reba's and possibly an on one lurcher 29er frame then swap everything onto the tallboy when I can afford one.
If the LTc would be more suitable then I'd probably get a pair of revelations and god knows what frame (on one 456???) for now.

Please say whether or not you have ridden a tallboy when commenting

Discuss :D
I

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Why not try some other full sus 29ers like the Giant Anthem, Specialized Camber and Whyte T129?
    Is there a reason why it has to be the Tallboy?
    If you are over about 15 stone forget the Tallboy, the rear linkage rate does not suit the larger gentleman.
  • pigglet
    No I haven't tried an anthem, I want to build a frame up to my own spec so I guess what I want to figure out initially is would a more trail type frame be better suited to my riding than a dedicated XC rig. Once I've determined that then I can build up a hardtail using forks I will transfer onto whichever full susser frame I decide to buy. I fancied a Tallboy based on the reviews and the fact that I was really impressed with quality of my bullit when I had that.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Have a look at the Pivot frames, the mach4 blew me away, it feels just like a hardtail except you get more traction and can stay in the saddle more often, which for me would be the ideal full sus.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • sandy771
    sandy771 Posts: 368
    If you are over about 15 stone forget the Tallboy, the rear linkage rate does not suit the larger gentleman.

Sorry about the thread drift - but any ideas how the Capra rear would suit a larger chap (I'm a few pounds over 15st and have just ordered one)
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    No idea about the Capra. I demoed a Tallboy LT when I was a little more curvaceous and it just didn't work at all.
    I wouldn't buy a Capra because I didn't like the linear rear suspension of the Wicked or Tues but that's just personal preference, I like a nice rising rate and single pivots.
  • pigglet
    The Rookie wrote:
    Have a look at the Pivot frames, the mach4 blew me away, it feels just like a hardtail except you get more traction and can stay in the saddle more often, which for me would be the ideal full sus.

Never heard of them but having a look at their site they look nice! Might be worth investigating :)