FSA Gossamer Chainset - Crank Issue

antlaff
antlaff Posts: 583
edited May 2014 in Workshop
Hi

the non drive side crank keeps loosening....was not overtighted originally but having to do so now. Any cheap remedies or do i need to replace?

Comments

• ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    Is it the plastic retaining bolt that keeps loosening? Happened to me, and I lost one on a ride. Bought a new one which also kept loosening. Used plenty of loctite on it (even though it had some on it already), and a year later it is still on.

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    I think they have a reputation for this. I've just redone mine (again) but splashed out for a torque wrench and used some threadlock. Hopefully that'll keep it in place. Oh yeah, the end bolt has got a silly low torque recommendation - 2Nm I think - I certainly went past that.
  • antlaff
    no the crank bolt has been fine... its the crank keeps edging off. After 30-50 miles its 2-3mm from the BB.
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    Pinch bolts done up enough? If not able to tighten further I suspect it has been overtightened previously and the threads have stripped. That's leaving it unable to be clamped down enough now so it can work outwards to the end of the axle.
  • antlaff
    Me-109 wrote:
    Pinch bolts done up enough? If not able to tighten further I suspect it has been overtightened previously and the threads have stripped. That's leaving it unable to be clamped down enough now so it can work outwards to the end of the axle.

sounds the case.. can these be rethreaded or is it a case of replacing?
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    if you do a search there is thread regarding cracking the splines on gossamer crankset's, possibly through over tightening of the pinchbolts but jury is out on that one. They have now changed the design for a non-pinchbolt type and different BB.