Pre-terminated gear inners?

felix.london
felix.london Posts: 4,067
edited May 2014 in MTB buying advice
anyone know where to source these - can't seem to find them from any of the big boys?

When I say pre-terminated I mean the mech end has the tiniest spot of solder on it so you don't need an end-cap, it doesn't fray and you can whip em out and in nice and easily
"Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Or put a blob of superglue on.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    anyone know where to source these - can't seem to find them from any of the big boys?

When I say pre-terminated I mean the mech end has the tiniest spot of solder on it so you don't need an end-cap, it doesn't fray and you can whip em out and in nice and easily
    Can't say I have ever seen any as there is no standard length for inner cables they all need cutting to length so there is no point adding cost to something that is not needed.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Buy a soldering iron and put a bit of solder on yourself?
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    pff...don't even know where my soldering iron is. At last years Mega Justin Leov's mechanic gave me one but haven't been able to find them since. Maybe they make them up themselves.
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Alligator inners come like that, but of course you cut that bit off when trimming to length.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    All decent inners will have a 'sealed' end, so as long as you don't need to cut you'll be reet. Trouble is you'll nearly always need to cut - I'd suggest they did prep them themselves.

Blob of superglue will do it, although an end cap still looks neater IMO.