Wheel un-building advice?

Giraffoto
Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
edited May 2014 in Workshop
I have a spare front wheel, and I want the hub out of it. Is there a particularly sensible way to undo the spokes, in terms of order? I had a vague idea of loosening every other spoke a bit first, so the whole thing gets slack, and then undoing them all in order of outer one side, outer the other, inner one side, inner the other. Good idea or needless faff? I don't want to end up with a distorted rim (it's going on ebay if it comes off cleanly)
Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
XM-057 rigid 29er

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,272
    If you no longer need the spokes, undo the tension by a full turn per nipple, then take a pair of Fat ted cutters and mow the spokes half way through their length... it's therapeutic as well
    left the forum March 2023
  • Giraffoto
    If you no longer need the spokes, undo the tension by a full turn per nipple, then take a pair of Fat ted cutters and mow the spokes half way through their length... it's therapeutic as well

So, there's no particular order for loosening the spokes that will keep the rim straight? I just work my way around the wheel loosening them, before cutting/undoing them?

Also, in your capacity as a wheel builder, what do you charge to build a wheel (possibly including supplying 32 spoke)?
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,272
    Giraffoto wrote:
    Also, in your capacity as a wheel builder, what do you charge to build a wheel (possibly including supplying 32 spoke)?

If you want a local builder, my friend Colin is based in Chalfont St. Giles, I can give you his details if you are interested. Going rate for labour is ONLY 20-30 pounds

Yes, release the tension and plow through with the cutters, the rim will be fine
    left the forum March 2023
  • Giraffoto
    If you want a local builder, my friend Colin is based in Chalfont St. Giles, I can give you his details if you are interested.

Yes please, PM or post here will be fine!
    XM-057 rigid 29er