£900-£1200 Hardtail or Full Sus?

Buchanan0204
Buchanan0204 Posts: 12
edited May 2014 in MTB buying advice
I'll be doing mostly country trails, gravel paths/tracks. I'll also be doing a number of miles along country roads and would like something that'll eat up the miles fairly efficiently. I'm thinking a 29er would be good for this?

I'm 6"1 and 100KG. If that helps with the style and size of bike.

My last bike was a rockhopper with added formula hydraulics (10 years ago)

I'm open to all suggestions.

I've been looking at Btwins, and the GoOutdoors own brand.

Comments

• kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    I would find a good sized bike shop and have a good look at bikes in your price range. Hard tails will have better frames, forks and components in your price range but buying second hand if you are patient can get a real bargain. Wheel size is really personal preference, 29ers are great for XC riding you may prefer smaller.
  • Would I be better off with something like rockrider 8.3 or a brand like Giant, specialized or cannondale for e.g.?

Are 29ers a bit quicker at cruising?
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    In theory a 29er rolls over things more easily and maintains momentum.

http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m1b0s154p4 ... 9ER-4-2013
  • kevinharley
    kevinharley Posts: 554
    For your stated useage, you probably don't need a bouncer ... likely to be heavier and more costly to maintain in the long run (whether you want one is another matter! :wink:

This, from On One, looks a decent option:
    http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/CBOOPWDEO/o ... ntain-bike ... it will be more than enough for your needs, and capable of more should you decide you want to take it on rougher and steeper trails ...

Or they do the Carbon frame Lurcher for the same price:

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/CBOOLURCHX5 ... untainbike
    SRAM kit rather than Shimano .. not as good a fork as the Parkwood, but it is a carbon frame ...
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    I'd be looking to demo one of Ben's new Bird Zeros... they look spot on, and while not cheap even the base model here has a great spec and is customisable.
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • Ferrals
    Ferrals Posts: 785
    I would defo go hardtail, why bother with the extra weight and maintenance if you are envisaging a largely xc focus on smoother paths, even if you think you might get more adventurous, a 'trail' hard tail with longish front sus would be easily sufficient.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I agree, at this price point, unless you know you need an FS, you are better off with the lighter/better specced hardtail, what you say suggests you don't need an FS.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Long_Time_Lurker
    Long_Time_Lurker Posts: 1,068
    I agree with Rookie. And from the sound of your riding, I wouldn't be looking at something with too hardcore either.
    If you are looking at putting in the miles, I would be looking at something a bit more XC orientated like a Cube Race.
    (I only use that example because I have one. I use it on local fire roads, as my commuter, and also as a mile-muncher - on the Coast-2-Coast, Hadrian's cycle route and the Coasts and Castles. On top of that you can normally find good prices on their 2013 models and there is quite a strong 2nd hand market).
    The 140-mm hardcore trail bikes that my friends use (Orange Crush, Ragley Piglet), aren't as comfortable on an long ride, but are better on more technical trails.

And let's face it, if you really enjoy it, you will want a full-sus and a hardtail. :wink:
    (I've gone down the route of buying a XC hardtail and then bought a full-sus as my trail bike 18 months later.)
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    To give you an example I weigh about 100KG at over 6ft6 and bought a Specialized Crave Comp (now Crave) which is a light 29er XC hardtail. have ridden it a lot off road and it has been fine the whole time. I prefer Hardtails and it has coped with anything I have thrown at it from Trail centres to rough trails in the middle of nowhere.

The only real upgrade I did was to XT disc brakes from Elixir 1 brakes which was a good improvement but the original brakes were fine. I bought after a test ride as I liked the look of it and it felt right when I rode it. The frame , forks and wheels were the main thing I was interested in as the rest can be upgraded if needed when things wear out. I would take a little time and find the best bike for you.