Shimano Clipless Pedals

IDave
IDave Posts: 223
edited May 2014 in MTB buying advice
I'm looking at getting some clipless pedals and it seems like the Shimano M520 is a great entry level choice.

Does anyone know what the difference between the M520 and the M540 is, and if it's worth paying the extra?

I can see from the spec that the M540 is lighter, but anything else?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-pd-m520-pedals

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-pd-m540-pedals

Comments

• poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    consider the time atac pedals. bit more expensive but have more float and not affect by mud as much as the shimano type
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    I've got a set of each and I'm hard pushed to tell the difference. I expect the bearings are better on the 540s. They're setup differently too, do the 540s have a more positive engagement? (I think they do).

520s - cheap as chips, perfectly good system IMO.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    M520s are great, personally I wouldn't consider anything other than shimano as they leave very little to be desired, and most other people run them, which means you can try your mates bikes out etc. without swapping shoes :)
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    The 540's are lighter but also easier to service no special tools needed just a spanner
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Oh by the way, I run m530s, and they're awesome. The cage makes finding the pedal when clipping in so much easier.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 4,993
    WindyG wrote:
    The 540's are lighter but also easier to service no special tools needed just a spanner

Is it actually worth servicing the 520s ? Mine have lasted 5 years year round commuting, plus some muddy XC, with nothing more than dripping lube in.
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    WindyG wrote:

Is it actually worth servicing the 520s ? Mine have lasted 5 years year round commuting, plus some muddy XC, with nothing more than dripping lube in.

Depends if they develop movement or are too tight. One of my brand new XT trails had been adjusted too tight so they didn't spin smoothly so I had to service them straight away. It's super easy to do on all the pedals though and the special tool for the cheaper pedals only costs about £2 and is fairly easy to find.

I'd personally spend the extra because IME the more expensive SPD's have a nicer feeling mechanism.
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    I have 520's on the commuter and 540's on the road and MTB's.
    I've never bothered to service the 520's and they have been through all sorts of crap and have been on all the bikes at some point :-)
    The 540's I got to save a little bit of weight and the ease of servicing as you don't even have to take the pedal off I just leave the spindle on the bike. I havn't really noticed any difference when using them to be honest.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I have the M520 and M540. I really can't tell the difference. Both are two years old, never had any maintenance and still run smooth.
    I would buy the M520
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    ilovedirt wrote:
    Oh by the way, I run m530s, and they're awesome. The cage makes finding the pedal when clipping in so much easier.

This ^^

...but then I went to the dark side and tried CB Mallet 2's and much preferred them - easier to clip in and out (which obviously can be good and bad depending on the situation)

...and now after always riding clipped-in in one form or another (yes including toe straps!) I'm on flats and I'm generally enjoying my riding more as a result
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • 19dm82
    19dm82 Posts: 70
    Just got some of these free with new bike. Also the cleats and plastic clip in things to make them like a flat peddle. All no good to me as use flat peddles. Put them straight on eBay.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    The clip in things are not to make them into flat pedals, they are so you can have a quick test ride without needing cleats. You can't really ride with them, and most people throw them away.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • 19dm82
    cooldad wrote:
    The clip in things are not to make them into flat pedals, they are so you can have a quick test ride without needing cleats. You can't really ride with them, and most people throw them away.

Cheers. Every days a school day.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    19dm82 wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

Cheers. Every day's a school day.

FTFY as it's a school day
  • 19dm82
    19dm82 wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

Cheers. Every day's a school day.

FTFY as it's a school day

FTFY?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Fixed that for you.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • I've got both on different bikes. Can't tell the difference performance wise, but the spindle on the m540 is tapered so when you look down it's more visually pleasant.

Yes, I consider that a quality :wink:
    Giant Trance 3 '08
    Kona Lava Dome '96
    Giant Alliance '08