On one 45650b or Parkwood

thommo1455
thommo1455 Posts: 5
edited May 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi,
I have recently decided to get back into Mountain biking after a hiatus of 8 years.
My biggest quandary is whether to go for the new on one 456 650b or Parkwood 29er.
I have previously owned a 456, my initial impressions were good, but I bought it at the same time as my daughter was born, so I ended up selling it before I got a good ride on it.
My riding will mostly be biased to descending, however I would like a good all rounder, as it will be out on all day slogs.
I am 6'1" and about 13 stone in weight.
I am reticent about the Parkwood, as I have been told you lose a lot of flickability and fun with a 29er.

Cheers

Ben

Comments

• 33whitey
    33whitey Posts: 19
    These are on my radar as a replacement for my Carrera Fury but as they are so new there are pretty much no reviews.

The bulk of my riding is XC/trail with the odd descent so I am leaning towards the 29er. The Titus Fire line is a well regarded trail all rounder and the Parkwood is an aluminium version with all the development issues sorted.
  • thommo1455
    cheers,
    I'm leaning towards the parkwood. The only things that worry me is the how compliant the alloy frame will be, I don't want something that going to be too stiff. Also I don't want to lose the fun factor of the smaller wheel.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    You got a link to the Parkwood? Never heard of it.
  • toastedone
    toastedone Posts: 838
    supersonic wrote:
    You got a link to the Parkwood? Never heard of it.

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/CBOOPWDEO/o ... ntain-bike
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Looks like a cracking bike. Don't know who is doing the speccing for OnOne lately, but needs a pat on the back, that is a great package.

It comes down to the geometry that suits really.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Perfect for a cycle to work.
    It's a pity other companies don't spec like that - basic Deore (which is good anyway) and spend the saving on the fork.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • 33whitey
    33whitey Posts: 19
    Dropper post as well for £ 999 8)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Indeed, genius, Reverb and revs on a £1k bike at the expense of not being able to put XT or SLX on the spec sheet to wow people, makes for a much better bike for many people.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • kevinharley
    kevinharley Posts: 554
    I've had the 45650b since the end of Feb, and for me, its been great. Its very confidence inspiring pointing down, and decently capable going up.

The Deore kit hasn't missed a beat, and I certainly prefer it to the SRAM X5/X7 and Avid Elixir kit I had on my old Boardman.

Its quite a heavy frame, but I've done some long rides on it with no complaint.

As SS says, comes down to geometry and what your preferences are, and also wheel size. I didn't really consider 29ers at all. I like the 650b wheels (better rollover than 26"), but wouldn't want to go bigger personally ... I've had a couple of low speed / tight corner comedy offs whilst getting used to the larger wheel & tyre combo.

Either bike is a great spec at a cracking price ...
  • thommo1455
    Thanks for the replies. The parkwood is a bargain, just not sure about a 29er. Decisions decisions
  • thommo1455
    Kevin, how is the 456, going up the hills
  • kevinharley
    kevinharley Posts: 554
    thommo1455 wrote:
    Kevin, how is the 456, going up the hills

I find it fine up hill. The bigger (than 26) wheel/tyre combo rolls over stuff pretty well, and the maxxis ardent tyres grip well enough without being draggy. Although the head angle is quite slack, the seat post is still reasonably steep, so the steering doesn't feel too wanderey or want to lift up. Its a heavier bike than my old Boardman Team (by just over 1kg according to manufacturer quoted figures), so that probably has an impact ... but if you're contemplating a 29er, there's probably not a lot of difference in weight TBH. The gearing will get you up most stuff.

Overall, its great heading down, and still capable heading up.
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    I've been looking at the 45650b and am tempted, but now I like the look of that parkwood!!

I'm not sure 29" would suit my type of riding though :? but that's a lovely looking bike and a bargain