26" rims

rockmonkeysc
rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
edited May 2014 in MTB buying advice
Im not sure what rims to put on my Mega TR.
The Mavic XM719's have done pretty well but there may be better choices.
They need to be 32 hole and use normal spokes and ideally available as a complete wheel with Hope Pro 2 evo hubs.
Use is everything from long distance XC epics to black DH tracks and alpine trails and I do enjoy a few air miles.
The ones which seem to be the obvious choices are Mavic XM719, Stans Arch EX and WTB i23.

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Light Bicycle carbon.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    I'd go Arch EX - only cos I've punished mine for two alpine hardtail seasons and they're still spot on
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    Either Arch EX or Flow EX. I'd definitely be going Flow EX, I run them on my TR because I think I'd kill an Arch EX on the back pretty quickly going by how other rims have faired under me and the front might not fair so well after a year either but my front Flow EX is a year and a half old and still great minus some fading to the decals from my dog standing on them in the car :roll: . The rear is about 9 months old and still good although I should probably get the spokes re tensioned at some point.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    It's a mega tr, i've fit at least a flow ex, preferably one of the super wide sun ringle rims.
  • rockmonkeysc
    I don't want a Flow EX. My Mavic 719's have held up fine so I don't need a dh rim.
    Probably not the carbon rims because including £25 per wheel for building I would be getting up around £400+
  • njee20
    They can do built wheels on Hope hubs.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    well of the three you've listed:

Arch ex
    wtb frequency i23
    xm719

however personally i'd say all three are two skinny. What tyres do you run?

edit:

Also, don't think of the flowex as a dh rim, think of it as a slightly lighter, but much stiffer and wider version of what you ride currently. The advantage is that you get a much better tyre profile and can run larger rubber far more happily. Having gone from 719 to both crests and flow ex rims, the crest feel less stiff but a lot lighter, noticably lighter in terms of ride. The flow ex give a massively stiffer wheel with improved grip and cornering at the same weight.

Personally I don't really see the point in the arch-ex.
  • rockmonkeysc
    I only use 2.2" Rubber Queens or occasionally a 2.35" High Roller.
    It's an xc bike so I don't want to use huge tyres and I really don't need a 29" rim. The Flow EX is 90g per rim heavier than an Arch EX which is going to be noticeable.
  • Go matching with Nukeproof generator rims? I've found them good, I dont do any DH though.
  • rockmonkeysc
    I had the Generator DH rims on my Scalp. I won't be buying another set!
  • jas754
    jas754 Posts: 26
    Theres a nice little grouptest in a magazine I just picked up for am type wheels, spank oozy evo's came out on top with superstar tactic/tesla evo were give best value
  • downhillbike
    downhillbike Posts: 115
    how about superstar wheelsets i have had 4 sets on different bikes and they have never let me down
  • rockmonkeysc
    I have got Superstar wheels at the moment. The rear hub is crap. Four freehubs in about 18 months, all cracked in the same place. Bearing sealing is pretty poor as well.
    The main reason I want new wheels is to replace the hubs.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Why don't you do just that?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Or just get the steel freehub option if it's available for your hub?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • njee20
    Weighs a lot more still.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    I have got Superstar wheels at the moment. The rear hub is crap. Four freehubs in about 18 months, all cracked in the same place. Bearing sealing is pretty poor as well.
    The main reason I want new wheels is to replace the hubs.

Which hubs? Are they just replacing like for like when they fail? Ask them for an upgrade to something better?
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Mavic EN521 or Stans Flow.

Had both, nothing in it between them, both were laced onto Hopes and both were brilliant.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • rockmonkeysc
    Superstar replace like for like each time. I have got a steel one for emergencies but it weighs as much as a cow.
    I have got an EN521 on the back of my dh bike at the moment, bombproof but heavy.
    I think I might go for the Arch EX, weight is about right, so is the width.
    Definitely going for pro 2 evo hubs, they seem like about the best value good quality hubs. I don't want Novatec hubs again, even my Nukeproof novatecs aren't great.
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    Take a look at the Spank Oozy, its available in just the rim or full wheelset. Only had mine 6 months but pleased so far.
  • rockmonkeysc
    The rims look good but I don't fancy straight pull spokes.
  • Proutster
    Proutster Posts: 785
    njee20 wrote:
    Light Bicycle carbon.
    njee20 wrote:
    They can do built wheels on Hope hubs.

They are well worth the money - took 998g off my old wheel/tyre/brake rotor combo:

2014-03-26075626_zps95b8606e.jpg
  • rockmonkeysc
    Im sure they are good but they are well over my budget.