Dan Craven to Europcar

mroli
mroli Posts: 3,622
edited May 2014 in Pro race
http://www.cyclismactu.net/news-transfert-dan-craven-chez-europcar-des-cet-ete-40748.html

Good stuff - Dan from Nam always seems like a really nice guy and he's kept plugging away. Nice for him to get an opportunity...

Comments

• Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Yep, nice to see him finally get his chance. Going to be riding the Vuelta apparently. Bringing his own personal sponsor along for the ride.
  • mroli
    I think he was meant to go to Europcar a few years ago when he left Rapha, but it fell through when Europcar didn't get their proteam licence. A season at Sigma, a season at Synergy Baku and he's with Bike-Aid Ride for Help this year. Who is his personal sponsor?
  • Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492
    A couple of years ago his beard would have been a refreshing change at the top level but now all and sundry are sporting one.
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    mroli wrote:
    I think he was meant to go to Europcar a few years ago when he left Rapha, but it fell through when Europcar didn't get their proteam licence. A season at Sigma, a season at Synergy Baku and he's with Bike-Aid Ride for Help this year. Who is his personal sponsor?

Nedbank. A South African bank, apparently.
  • lyn1
    lyn1 Posts: 261
    Turfle wrote:
    Yep, nice to see him finally get his chance. Going to be riding the Vuelta apparently. Bringing his own personal sponsor along for the ride.

Thought it was a joke at first. Then I read this bit. If guys with his sort of results in low level UCI races justified WT rides each team would need 50+places available to accommodate everyone who qualified. Strong Conti and could probably do a support job at Pro Conti but nothing more for me. Must be frustrating for younger riders trying to get on the ladder seeing these moves.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Good q&a with him on cyclingnews. Comes across well and respect to him for being a proper African unlike Froome. Excited to see him in the Vuelta given he is clearly a talented climber. So far this year he won overall at Tour of Cameroon and the mountains classification.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    Comes across well and respect to him for being a proper African unlike Froome.
    What on earth constitutes a 'proper African'?
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • argyllflyer
    argyllflyer Posts: 893
    Good q&a with him on cyclingnews. Comes across well and respect to him for being a proper African unlike Froome.

Froome's parents were 1st / 2nd generation Brits and therefore it's just the guy's history to be bi-continental.
  • frenchfighter
    Imo it depends where you spent your formative years.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • tuneskyline
    tuneskyline Posts: 370
    Good q&a with him on cyclingnews. Comes across well and respect to him for being a proper African unlike Froome.

Froome's parents were 1st / 2nd generation Brits and therefore it's just the guy's history to be bi-continental.

Bi-continental. I thought Froome had a girlfriend.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    How on Earth did you resist the urge to call the thread Dan Craven's Newsround?
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786

Shit! are you saying my kids are French! :shock:
  • argyllflyer
    argyllflyer Posts: 893

British expats seem to be more patriotic than those at home!

A lot of someone's outlook depends on cultural upbringing too, and going to an Anglican boarding school in Johannesburg would further reinforce his European roots I'd have thought.

My own sister was born in a different country to me and was brought up in it, yet remains as Scottish as the rest of the family.
  • frenchfighter
    Lucky them.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • inseine
    Lucky them.

:D so are you French (serious question)?
  • frenchfighter
    Half French - brought up in London with a French culture. Have been to France countless times and will be going there permanently later in life.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • inseine
    You can't sit on the fence like that. My kids are English, brought up in France and are very anti-French in any sporting events. I thought maybe you suffered the same affliction!
  • tuneskyline
    My dad told me that my mum was not even born when I was alive.
  • frenchfighter
    inseine wrote:
    You can't sit on the fence like that. My kids are English, brought up in France and are very anti-French in any sporting events. I thought maybe you suffered the same affliction!

Half French from a perspective of the law. I love France but I also consider many things in this country much better than France. To simplify things, I would consider myself English with a French slant in attitudes, way of life and anything food and drink.

Why are they anti-French?
    Odd attitude to have when you have chosen to be in France and are providing from the family from a job there!

In the past I supported France in football and rugby (unsurprising when you consider both the French teams back them played with flair) but now I am more or less, let the best team win.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Only problem with Dan is that he has a beard.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • inseine
    Maybe it's what someone said before, how expats become more nationalistic. Plus I find a lot of French a bit anti British which seems to come from a bit of national insecurity, and which obviously raises the hackles of young 'British' kids.
  • frenchfighter
    Fair enough although I wouldn't say the French have a particular issue with national insecurity.

Look who is number 1 here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Tourism_rankings
    They are not too far down here:
    http://www.numbeo.com/quality-of-life/r ... ountry.jsp

Although it is certainly worth pointing out that the country has slipped in the last 5years or so on many aspects. It used to top or podium the quality of life rankings. Poor leadership, unemployment and UK/US influence on life have all had a negative impact.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • tuneskyline
    femmes françaises sont sexy
  • mroli
    This is the Q&A with him on Cycling News that Frenchie referred to above. http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/q-and-a-with-dan-craven

Bit harsh to call it a personal sponsor - rather Craven has been helping Nedbank with various programmes and initiatives. Its a good interview and yet again, with another cyclist, you can see a load of social good being done as well as his own professional career...
  • wombly_knees
    wombly_knees Posts: 657
    They are a personal sponsor tbf. He seems to have an ambassadorial role with them. They're a good sponsor usually, and don't hold back on the money if they go full in.