New (for me) bike and first outing.

jdk2014
jdk2014 Posts: 24
edited May 2014 in MTB beginners
Well I managed to find a Voodoo Hoodoo locally for a decent price. I also got some cheap bike stuff from Aldi. It's good to be back in the (gel saddle covered) saddle.
voodoohoodoo_zpsccdfb90f.jpg
I went a 12 mile route around New Lanark with a mix of forest paths, farm tracks and quiet B roads. There was some very steep hills both up and down, some stairs and steps too. Here's a video of part of the route, not me but I thought it was worth showing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9V4-TH3VALc
It took me about an hour and 40 minutes but about half an hour was spent taking photos and chatting to people.
I had a great time and look forward to tomorrow's ride.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Nice but get rid of the squidgy saddle cover.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • bailsofhay
    bailsofhay Posts: 191
    A sore back side is a small price to pay to be fashionable... or you could get some baboon pants.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    It's not fashion, it's fact.
    Gel covers will cause more pain as they do not support where support is needed - the sit bones. They put pressure where it is not needed - the soft tissue.They just feel more comfortable on a short ride.
    Butts get used to it and toughen up.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • bailsofhay
    bailsofhay Posts: 191
    Iv'e never tried one personally but what you say makes sense. I got lucky with a saddle that came as stock on a bike and Iv'e been happily using the same model for the last 10 years, very soft but supportive in all the right places.
  • jdk2014
    If you think the saddle cover is bad, you should see the cycling clobber.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Nice choice, welcome to the HooDoo owners club!

Has that still got it's dork disc on but it's not the original rear wheel?
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • jdk2014
    I'm assured the dork disc is original. So are the spoky doky reflectors. For pure stealth reasons I've added a matt black 'bicycle computer' that does everything bar give me a blow.........by blow account of my route....in a Princess Leah voice.
    The rear wheel,both tyres, various bearings and this and that are brand new. Then there is the Aldi clobber...with flashing lights.
    I'm well chuffed.
    Gie ye a race ya bas....!