Hit by car at 60mph...

Johnpsanderson
Johnpsanderson Posts: 380
edited May 2014 in Road general
Having read quite a few threads about people killed whilst cycling it was amazing to hear two nights ago that the club secretary from my club was hit by a car which was travelling at roughly 60mph and has, to all intents and purposes, come away unscathed...

To be honest, it seems like good news worth sharing, we only tend to hear about these incidents when they end up badly!

Not sure of the circumstances, but I believe it wasn't really the drivers fault, and an overnight stay in hospital was necessary for observation, but there are NO broken bones...

Local press has taken a keen interest (hopefully they'll post up more than this once they've sold todays papers... http://www.gazette-news.co.uk/news/1019 ... mph_crash/) but I can already imagine that the comments/letters section will be full of people either complaining about motorists, or saying they'd do their best to flatten a cyclist given the chance...
Put me back on my bike...

t' blog: http://meandthemountain.wordpress.com/

Comments

• The bike came out of it relatively unscathed too!

https://twitter.com/vc_revolution/status/296904216482549760

BB7Qz9QCEAAvMti.jpg:large
  • estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    The important thing is what kind of car did he hit?

must have mainly hit the windscreen and that took the compression or was just the slightest of touches and rotated
    the right direction.

But good to hear its not another stat, and anything carbon? its written off.......... second impact strength of the stuff is crap, it has already been overloaded with that kind of impact.
  • He did say the bike was a write off, apparently the car is too...
    Put me back on my bike...

t' blog: http://meandthemountain.wordpress.com/
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Saddle looks painful.....
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    well if the car is written off, the A pillar took a large amount of the impact

at a guess
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    I hope he has insurance - it could be very expensive for him, based on the very limited description.
  • NITR8s
    NITR8s Posts: 688
    Did the the lights fall off too, as i cant see any in the picture.
  • NITR8s wrote:
    Did the the lights fall off too, as i cant see any in the picture.

I think it was two nights ago that the OP heard the story, rather than the rider being out two nights ago, unless I've mis-read?
    Still trying to convince the missus of the n+1 rule...!
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    estampida wrote:

at a guess

So the car was travelling sideways at 60 mph ?
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • Statistically he's more than lucky to survive as being hit like that should have crushed all his organs against his skeleton.

I must admit to being a little bit doubtful, as the stats say that at 40mph, the chances of survival are about 10%, and at 60mph its 1%. Even at 1% thats survival, not walking away relatively unscathed. The article does say he was "thrown into the path of two cars travelling at 60mph" - not that he was physically hit though ?

He can always tell people that he's in the 1% :)
  • MattC59 wrote:
    estampida wrote:

at a guess

The "A" Pillar's are at the front. B's at the side, C's at the rear.
    Ridley Orion
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    MattC59 wrote:
    estampida wrote:

at a guess

The "A" Pillar's are at the front. B's at the side, C's at the rear.

But still at the side.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • gezebo
    gezebo Posts: 364
    Nice bike but a mtb mudguard??
  • gezebo wrote:
    Nice bike but a mtb mudguard??

That is actually a spoiler. :-)

"I like riding in my car, it's not quite a Jaguar."
  • Cranks not aligned with down tube, valves not at 6 o'clock, saddle angle?
    Pride and joy: Bianchi Sempre
    Commuting hack: Cube Nature
  • Valy
    Valy Posts: 1,321
    Amazing etc, but "thrown into the car's paths"? So he could be going at 30/40mph and the car at 60mph. Cos really even being the most naive person evah, 60mph sounds a lot like certainty of getting dead whichever ways you get hit...
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I had a look on twitter and he said something like he was crossing a dual carriageway and hit a stone and his front wheel slipped out ? I cant quite understand what got hit ? Any interraction with a speeding car is a bit dodgy though - he was lucky.
  • lawrences
    lawrences Posts: 1,011
    The bike came out of it relatively unscathed too!

https://twitter.com/vc_revolution/status/296904216482549760

BB7Qz9QCEAAvMti.jpg:large

Unscathed? his front wheels been turned into a prefect oval!!! :P
  • A long straight wide country road in broad daylight, I'm guessing cars were going at 60mph. I'm stood at the roadside on my bike with hands on the hoods. One driver misjudged the distance and hit me with the wing mirror shattering my hand & wrist, throwing me to the Tarmac and as well as obliterating his wing mirror. Two hours of surgery put a titanium plate and screws into my wrist, and wires to hold my thumb together. 8 brakes in 5 bones in total. I've looked at the profile of a nearly new Audi and the mirrors don't stick out far from the wheel arches. I count myself very fortunate to be alive!
  • sigorman85
    sigorman85 Posts: 2,536
    Seems like the bike got some sort of mud deflector rear spoiler MTb part attached to it whil hit at 60 mph
    When i die I just hope the wife doesn't sell my stuff for what I told her I paid for it other wise someone will be getting a mega deal!!!

De rosa superking 888 di2
  • Mudguards with deep section clinchers?!
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    I have the same mudguard :oops:
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    A long straight wide country road in broad daylight, I'm guessing cars were going at 60mph. I'm stood at the roadside on my bike with hands on the hoods. One driver misjudged the distance and hit me with the wing mirror shattering my hand & wrist, throwing me to the Tarmac and as well as obliterating his wing mirror. Two hours of surgery put a titanium plate and screws into my wrist, and wires to hold my thumb together. 8 brakes in 5 bones in total. I've looked at the profile of a nearly new Audi and the mirrors don't stick out far from the wheel arches. I count myself very fortunate to be alive!

Ouch! Hope you make a speedy recovery!

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,032
    A long straight wide country road in broad daylight, I'm guessing cars were going at 60mph. I'm stood at the roadside on my bike with hands on the hoods. One driver misjudged the distance and hit me with the wing mirror shattering

Should be a ban with an order to retake his driving test before driving again.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme