What's This Bike?

Mr Chutney
Mr Chutney Posts: 7
edited May 2014 in Your mountain bikes
Hi All

New here so not 100% sure if I'm in the right forum.

I've just recently started to get back into riding (hallelujah!) after a long stretch of time without doing any, finally have the time again! In the past I've always had a hardtail and always been on 4X's and Dirt Jumps, however DH and Freeride always appealed to me. I've recently picked up this Specialized Full SUSser and wondered if anyone could give me a specific model/spec on it to let me know what I've actually got here

I sound like a bit of a newbie I know but It's been so long since I got rid of my custom build Santa Cruz jump bike I feel things have probably moved on

Any help appreciated!

Thanks

x5347a.jpg

Comments

• ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    It's a Big Hit, and the shock looks like it's too long. Looks about 2006?
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Specialized Big Hit, not sure on year but 2006ish?
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    isn't that the model that came with the 24" rear wheel?
  • ilovedirt
    No, I think that was the previous one.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Mr Chutney
    Thank's for the help, makes it a bit clearer, obviously I'm assuming its been customised a bit, Azonic wheels etc.

When you say the back shock is too big do you mean out of adjustment or just generally to big? I'm planning on stripping and cleaning the whole thing this weekend, from what I can tell the front forks are a bit unloved as well and don't seem to travel very far - I tapped a shock pump onto them and even with no air pressure theres not alot of movement!
  • ilovedirt
    I mean it's too long - looks like someone has fitted a longer shock to make it more 'gnarly', and in doing so raised the bottom bracket and steepened the head angle. Seen quite a few people do it to these bikes - it's a pretty stupid mod.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Mr Chutney
    ilovedirt wrote:
    I mean it's too long - looks like someone has fitted a longer shock to make it more 'gnarly', and in doing so raised the bottom bracket and steepened the head angle. Seen quite a few people do it to these bikes - it's a pretty stupid mod.

Oh I see what you mean, its a Fox 5.0, Is it something that can be adjusted, when I picked it up it did also come with 2 or 3 spare springs, perhaps different sizes?
  • ilovedirt
    It's to do with the physical length of the shock and cannot be adjusted. I could be wrong - it could just be the angle of the photo, but it looks too long to me. It should measure 222mm from the centre of the eye at one end (or the centre of the shock mount bolt) to the centre of the eye at the other end. That one looks like 240mm.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • chrisrobs
    chrisrobs Posts: 135
    Is it a Specialized?
  • Mr Chutney
    Yes?