Giant Revel 4 - Hardtail MTB Problems

RuleyRamundo
RuleyRamundo Posts: 4
edited June 2014 in MTB beginners
Hi folks, I have Giant Revel 4 - Hardtail MTB that I have had for 10 weeks and have managed to break a 3 spokes on the rear wheel so far. I am now looking to get a new rear wheel with more spokes (36) instead of (32) maybe. Don't want to spend too much on a new rear wheel as the bike only cost £170 brand new. So my questions are:

1) An ok wheel rear that maybe will last a bit longer than the one supplied :)
2) I take it this bike has a freewheel set-up on it, what exact tool do I need to remove the freewheel on this Giant Revel 4 as not many people seem to know and I would like to. Then I can change to a new wheel as its really needed.

Any other advice will be greatly received as I have just started cycling and have not got a clue :lol:

Thanks.

Comments

• bailsofhay
    bailsofhay Posts: 191
    Probably better off getting the spokes replaced or doing it yourself for the cost of some spokes and a bit of time. What kind of riding were you doing when you broke them? Might have been dodgy spokes or wheel build and if its only 10 weeks old I'd contact the seller about the problem see what they have to say.
  • BigAl
    BigAl Posts: 3,122
    Let's assume you're using the bike for what it is intended for (if not, all bets are off)

Take it back to the dealer and ask them to re-build the wheel for you. Unless you're abusing the bike and using it in a way not intended you shouldn't be breaking a spoke every three weeks
  • bailsofhay wrote:
    Probably better off getting the spokes replaced or doing it yourself for the cost of some spokes and a bit of time. What kind of riding were you doing when you broke them? Might have been dodgy spokes or wheel build and if its only 10 weeks old I'd contact the seller about the problem see what they have to say.

The first time the seller said they would pay for it to be fixed under there warranty if I took it to my local bike shop which I did just waiting for them to pay me for that set of repairs though. The second time they said spokes are not covered under Giant's warranty and the first offer to fix the broke spoke was a gesture of good will from them. I ride on river towpaths most of the time and the roads to get there. If the spoke problem carry on I think I will retire from cycling and start running again alot cheaper :lol: .
  • BigAl
    If that's the riding you're doing you shouldn't be breaking spokes at all.

It suggests a poorly built wheel and the LBS will know it.

Be firm with them - the wheel has not performed as it should
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Sounds like he didn't buy it from his LBS.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • BigAl
    cooldad wrote:
    Sounds like he didn't buy it from his LBS.
    Good point, well spotted :oops:

In which case I'd cut your losses, take it to a decent bike shop and get them to re-fit spokes and re-tension the wheel properly
  • bailsofhay
    bailsofhay Posts: 191
    If you paid the LBS to fix the wheel and the problem is still there they may guarantee their work, its worth an ask. The seller in all fairness did offer to pay for the work although they may be trying to pass responsibility by getting a third party to fix their faulty product rather than just replacing it.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Sale of goods act trumps warranty......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Badly built wheel. More spokes won't make any difference, building and tensioning the wheel properly will sort it.
    In five years I have only had one spoke break.
  • Hi

They company that I bought the bike from have taken the wheel back (2 weeks ago) to look at it and replace the broken spokes (2) at my insistence after he said they would not rebuild the wheel because it would cost them £30-odd to do so.

The person (Warranty Manager) did state that spokes can break very soon after buying or years after and do break very often for some people and that's why the companies that make bikes or sell bikes do not cover spokes under warranty. What sort of angle would I go at it with regards to the SOGA if and when I get the wheel back and if I still have issues with the spokes?

This bike was purchased at the start March 2014.

Thanks for the help so far.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    He's talking BS, without abuse a properly built wheel (even a cheap one) doesn't break spokes, Sale of Goods act, not of merchantable quality, be cheaper for him to supply a new rear wheel than keep fixing it!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.