Mountain Tyre stopping problem and quick release problem?!

Scottd123
Scottd123 Posts: 15
edited May 2014 in MTB beginners
I was riding my Mountain bike and when you lift the front tyre up it stops within a second, a phew minutes later the quick release snapped?

Was this causing the problem for the brake stopping instantly?

Thanks scott

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Could have been way too tight?
    But your post could be clearer.

Where does the brake come into it?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    I've seen something like this before. The hub seized, the wheel chewed away the threads in the drop outs and the QR skewer became the axle and subsequently snapped. The wheel was repaired, the frame (it was a rear wheel) was beyond economical repair.

Take the wheel off, check the drop-outs and hub.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • Scottd123
    Scottd123 Posts: 15
    Hi Initialised, I took my bike to a bike shop and they said basically what you have said about the hub has seized and they are charging me £40 for a whole new wheel?
    are they correct or not?
    Thanks.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Correct about what?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Scottd123 wrote:
    Hi Initialised, I took my bike to a bike shop and they said basically what you have said about the hub has seized and they are charging me £40 for a whole new wheel?
    are they correct or not?
    Thanks.

I had my wheel repaired, hub cleaned out, replaced a few bearings, trued and tensioned etc... and a new QR skewer for £20

£40 won't get you a particularly good wheel but it may be cheaper than the repair.

How much was the wheel you've seized originally worth, is it a good one that's maybe worth saving or a budget disposable job?
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • Bit more detail of what wheels/bike your using would be a great help