Commencal Ramones 2013 UPDATED 29.05.15

brucie45
brucie45 Posts: 279
edited January 2016 in Your mountain bikes
Hi all, just thought I would share my new bike with you. It is a Commencal Ramone Cromo 2013 model. I had it delivered yesterday and built it up. Overall I am very happy with the bike. The spec for the drivtrain parts is a tad lower than I would have liked but the bike was well below budget and I will upgrade as much as possible. I think it look fantastic.

20130611_151526.jpg

20130611_145918.jpg

20130611_144647-1.jpg

FRAME - New Ramones Crmo
FORK - Fox Float 32 CTD O/C 150 mm
HEADSET - Neco Integrated Campy Style
STEM - Commençal OS 50mm
BARS - Commençal Ramones 1"OS 6061, 730mm
GRIPS - New Commençal Lock on
BRAKES - Formula RX12 180/160
SHIFTERS - Sram X5 10spd
CHAIN DEVICE - Sram X5
REAR MECH - SRAM X7 10s
BOTTOM BRACKET - Truvativ powerspline
CRANKS - Truvativ Blaze 24/36/Bashguard
CHAIN - Yaban 10s
CASSETTE Sram PG1030 10s 11-36
RIMS - Jalco light double wall for Commençal
HUBS - Commençal disc 15mm front, sealed bearings
TIRES - Onza Ibex 2,25 front, Onza Canis 2,25 Rear, skinwall
SEATPOST - Commençal no offset
SADDLE - Commençal Ramones by Velo

BIKE WEIGHT 28LBS

What would you upgrade with £600??
Commencal Ramones Cromo 13 - viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12926938

Comments

• HarryK
    HarryK Posts: 84
    Those skinwall tyres look killer! Thats a great looking bike, if I had £600 to upgrade I'd probably stick a type 2 sram mech on to keep then chain in check and get a dropper post on there too. Aside from that maybe some slightly wider bars?
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    I'd build another bike with £600! That bike looks good enough. What type of riding you gunna use it for?
  • brucie45
    Thanks Harryk. I think I want to upgrade Crank & BB also all the gearing, then just looking for the right wheels. Deffo keeping the Tyres, makes the bike stand out. I have always used nobby nics but we shall see how the Onza's are.

Pesky Jones, I have already got two bikes, this one is the main bike but I have a Carrera Subway just to commute on, I set a budget of 2k and this one came in at £1400 so the rest is to upgrade. Another bike is not really an option. I mainly ride trial centres but just didnt like riding my Cannondale Rize. I am involved in a local MTB Team, they maily ride DH and have built some really cool DH runs at some local trails. This bike was purchased with a view to withstand some of that abuse. haha
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    Yeah fair enough, I wasn't really suggesting you build another bike - just pointing out that it's possible! Yeah this should be good for that - enjoy!

Maybe save that £600 - and replace components when they break
  • brucie45
    Yeah thats not a bad shout, I'll give it a good run in next week at Cannock and see how it performs before I make any changes. Need to hide the money before the Mrs makes me spend it on her ;-)
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    That looks chuffing nice! Skinwalls should never have died, they still look fantastic when done right on a bike! I'd upgrade the wheels, probably some superstar/stans and the drivetrain, zee or slx cranks as personally I'd run 1x10 on it and definitely a clutch mech. Whatever you do though, enjoy the bike!
  • brucie45
    20130803_133909.jpg

20130803_133914.jpg

20130803_133919.jpg

20130817_101004.jpg

20130817_101020.jpg

20130817_143533.jpg

20130817_143542.jpg

20130817_183000.jpg

20130817_182947.jpg

As you can see I have made a few upgrades:

Seat - Madison Flux £22.99
    Grips - Superstar - £12.00
    Rotor Bolts £5.00
    Stans Flows/Switch hubs £160.00
    Tubless Conversion Kit £25.00
    SLX 10 speed cassette £50.00
    Pedals Euxstar - £49.00
    Watch this space for more upgrades, next up is 1x10 conversion all SLX and a dropper post.
  • I have the same bike and have upgraded it with a Reverb. Its now the best ever! Could not live without it. Next on my list is a Renthal Fatbar Lite, or maybe those snazzy pedals you have!
  • I think we must be the only two people who own these bikes in the UK, not sure if thats a good or bad thing. Might start a Commencal Ramones thread now........ not

Yeah, just had the dropper last week. Makes all the difference. Just a few little things left to do, mainly 1x10 conversion, just need to spec the parts first.

Put some pics up on the forum knobfer :D
  • I just need to put a different saddle on else it looks pretty much the same as when I got it, then pics ahoy!
  • appy
    appy Posts: 408
    Hi Guys
    Thinking of getting one of these (its this or the 456 evo) What size did you get and how tall are you?
    Cheers
  • I am 5'8 and bought the medium size and it is absolutely perfect!
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    Seriously thinking of upgrading the '06 Rockhopper's only remaining original part...

...the frame! With one of these bad boys. All the parts should swap over with no issues at all (The 120mm Reba would be perfect I reckon), slack geo - much more suited to 'round these parts. Chromoly tubes, which would take me back nicely to my early 90's first MTB life...and looks awesome! And for £300 atm seems like a bit of a bargain to me

Do you know how much the frames weigh?
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • Not sure on the frames weight but I can tell you the total weight is 12.8kg so I'd imagine the frame to be quite heavy.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    Just got an email from Commençal. Medium comes in at 2.7kg, bit of a lump but not too bad. I wonder how much my Rockhopper frame weighs, probably about the same?
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Just got an email from Commençal. Medium comes in at 2.7kg, bit of a lump but not too bad. I wonder how much my Rockhopper frame weighs, probably about the same?

An alloy rockhopper frame would be sub 2kg I think, so you're looking at a good 7-800g added at least. Just from moving from the 456c to the Stanton, all other things being equal I added a KG easily, so about 2lb just in the frame. Ideally you'd have titanium for a HT frame, but alas it's pretty damn expensive these days!

Back to the OP's bike though, seriously every time I look at it I wish more people did skinwall tyres, they really do look flippin' awesome!
  • brucie45
    lawman wrote:

An alloy rockhopper frame would be sub 2kg I think, so you're looking at a good 7-800g added at least. Just from moving from the 456c to the Stanton, all other things being equal I added a KG easily, so about 2lb just in the frame. Ideally you'd have titanium for a HT frame, but alas it's pretty damn expensive these days!

Back to the OP's bike though, seriously every time I look at it I wish more people did skinwall tyres, they really do look flippin' awesome!

Thanks lawman, out of all the bikes I was looking at (456c, Cotic soul, etc) I just kept going back to this one, then as soon as I saw the price drop I couldnt resist.

Felix, one thing I have noticed since owning the bike is they seem to be ultra rare, I have never seen anyone else out and about on one of these and I have only ever spoken to one othe owner (above). Not sure whether its a good or a bad thing but I like the exclusiveness.
  • brucie45
    appy wrote:
    Hi Guys
    Thinking of getting one of these (its this or the 456 evo) What size did you get and how tall are you?
    Cheers

Sorry appy, didnt see your post there. I am 6,3" and ride a large and i just about get away with it. I think I would just about get away with an xl also
  • Have you heard about the possible fox suspension forks recall on this bike? You need to enter the serial number on mojo's website. I havent checked mine yet but I have been sent the link.
    http://www.ridefox.com/content.php?c=recall#recallinfo
    I was contacted last night from free flow bikes on the matter. (good customer service in my opinion)
    They say not to ride the bike until you have checked..
  • brucie45
    knobfer wrote:
    Have you heard about the possible fox suspension forks recall on this bike? You need to enter the serial number on mojo's website. I havent checked mine yet but I have been sent the link.
    http://www.ridefox.com/content.php?c=recall#recallinfo
    I was contacted last night from free flow bikes on the matter. (good customer service in my opinion)
    They say not to ride the bike until you have checked..

Just checked my forks for the recall and luckily for me they are not effected! Thanks for letting me know knobfer
  • Love the look of this thing ... Looks bad as
  • brucie45
    Love the look of this thing ... Looks bad as

Cheers mate :D
  • brucie45
    Well its been a while so I thought I would share with you some updates. I have just got hold of my new Reverb and ordered some new parts from my LBS. New parts are as follows:

Zee clutch 10sp derailier
    Zee 10sp shifter
    Raceface narrow wide 34t
    SLX 10sp cassette 11-36
    Stans Tubless kit
    Renthal fatbar light

Pics will follow once the work is all done, the parts will be upto a weeks delivery and wait till the next weekend to carry out the work. May change the crank arms and BB but not sure yet.
  • Really liking the progression with your bike,never owned but love the style of commencal bikes.
    Still can't wheelie :(
  • brucie45
    Well thought it was time I updated this thread with the new spec and some pictures. Done massive amounts of riding on this now and always come of smiling.

20140531_162747_resized.jpg

IMG_1825.jpg

IMG_1856.jpg

[img][/img]http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc4 ... G_1949.jpg

IMG_1948.jpg

IMG_1949.jpg

Changes are:
    RS Revelations 150mm
    Reverb
    Full Zee transmission (Standard crank on 1x10 RFace N/W 34t)
    Sram Guide RS 180mm F/R
    Fatbar Lite 740mm 20mm rise
    Stans Flow/Superstar Switch evo (Fat Albert FR 2.4Tstar/Nobby Nic 2.25Pcstar) tubeless
    Superstar Delta Mag pedals (not pictured)

As you can see there has been some progression over the standard spec. Ive been doing everything on it upto the reds at BPW and still it hasn't got out of its depth (Rim Dinger etc at BPW would of been quicker on a 160mm FS :lol: )
  • Hello brucie45

I´ve following your posts, and to be honest... I love your bike. I´m a big fun of hardtails, some people might say I´m old school, but I love them.

What are your thoughts about the frame now that you´ve ridden it all this time, any drawbacks?

I know Commencal is not making this bike anymore and I have not been able to find it anywhere. By any chance, do have any idea where I might be able to find this frame?
    I live in Chile, but I´m lucky to have friends all around.

Congratulations for you bike.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Looks good, nice to see you have got sensible tyres on it.
    You should be able to keep up with enduro bikes down rim dinger on this bike. Talent will make you fast down that trail, suspension won't. Give Zut Alores a try, it's graded black and looks intimidating but there's a smoother line through thr middle which is easier than rim dinger.
  • brucie45
    Hello brucie45

I´ve following your posts, and to be honest... I love your bike. I´m a big fun of hardtails, some people might say I´m old school, but I love them.

What are your thoughts about the frame now that you´ve ridden it all this time, any drawbacks?

I know Commencal is not making this bike anymore and I have not been able to find it anywhere. By any chance, do have any idea where I might be able to find this frame?
    I live in Chile, but I´m lucky to have friends all around.

Congratulations for you bike.

Thanks for the comments. It's a great frame, it's direct, tough and looks good. I like the simplicity of riding it.

I don't know anywhere that would have this frame however Commencal do sell this year's bike on their website and I think they ship worldwide. It's 650b for this year too. http://www.commencal-store.co.uk/Mobile/MBSCProduct.asp?pdtid=14499063
  • brucie45
    Looks good, nice to see you have got sensible tyres on it.
    You should be able to keep up with enduro bikes down rim dinger on this bike. Talent will make you fast down that trail, suspension won't. Give Zut Alores a try, it's graded black and looks intimidating but there's a smoother line through thr middle which is easier than rim dinger.

Thanks RMSC, I did actually want a Hand's Dampf for the front but no lbs had them, I had to have the Fat Albert for the trail centre I had planned the next day, it's actually a decent tyre grip wise, just draggy.

I'll have a look at zut alores next time we are there, I still haven't done all the reds yet so deffo need to head back.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I'm not a fan of Schwalbe tyres. They work well but don't last.