Boardman hybrid Pro and potholes

markis
markis Posts: 43
edited June 2014 in Commuting general
Probably I will be going after the Boardman Hybrid Pro as I really want a very fast flatbar with hydraulic disc brakes. Someone at work who has a Boardman hybrid told me that the wheels easy buckle if you hit a pot hole, which he said he did and I heard a similar story from someone else. I pointed out that if I had a roadbike and hit a pothole I would probably buckle the wheel anyway. My MTB is more forgiving when I hit potholes, which is rarely anyway as I'm always looking out for them along with bad drain vents and glass and debris as I cycle.

Comments

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,166
    I've had my Pro for 4 1/2 years, and still on the original wheels - I've hit plenty of potholes and ironwork communting in and out of London and never buckled a wheel. As they are disc specific wheels they are a bit beefier than most normal roadie wheels - more like lightweight MTB wheels.

Go for it, you won't be disappointed.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • markis
    Just been on Halfords site and they've got a web exclusive of 10% off running ! This is only for web orders, the frame sizes are 45, 49, 54 , how do I figure out the right size I am 5ft 8 inches medium build, is 49 medium frame ?
  • Stevo_666
    markis wrote:
    Just been on Halfords site and they've got a web exclusive of 10% off running ! This is only for web orders, the frame sizes are 45, 49, 54 , how do I figure out the right size I am 5ft 8 inches medium build, is 49 medium frame ?
    '49' is the medium (the number refers to seat tube length):
    http://www.boardmanbikes.com/hybrid/hybrid_pro.html

I'm 5'10" and my medium is a good fit for me - so you may be between small and medium. Best way might be to go into a Halfords and sit on one for size (they'll let you do that but not ride them). Then go order online.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Join British Cycling on the lowest level for around £25-30 and get another 10% off - more than pays for itself!

You can get 4.5% quidco too - I think thats the rate.
  • markis
    I am now going to get the bike on the cyle2work scheme works out at £9.10 per week or £36.40 per month for 18 months, have sent off completed paper work and should have a LoC after the 15th of next month. I will be saving approx £350 off a £1,000 bike !
  • i am on my second hybrid comp (first one stolen)and am up to almost 1000 miles and the wheels are still completely true, even the stolen one which probably did more miles was still sound

Dave
  • markis
    Got my Boardman Hybrid Pro and love it ! It's very light under 10kg and fast. Went out the other day on my usual fitness route and took 10 minutes off my best time and that was with the bike on the smallest cog 's top gear ! With the tyres being thinner I do feel vibration shake a lot more in comparison to the slicks on my MTB, but I suppose that's to be expected on this type of bike when on bad tarmac. All in all a excellent bike though and couldn't be happier.
  • Stevo_666
    I told you so :D

Congratulations, great choice. It should last a long time with just a little bit of basic maintenance, if mine is anything to go by.
  • terryhughes
    terryhughes Posts: 62
    Hello, I got a Boardman comp a few months back and had loads of issues with the rear wheel. The bike is amazing and the CX22 rims are really good buy the hubs are awful.

If it buckles, take it back and complain. I did this several times. They upgraded me to a Mavic Open Pro rim with a Shimano 105 hub (RRP £124 form halfords) and after a proper wheel build it has been fine.

The key is (if you do have problems) complain like hell for free upgrades. I am more than happy with my Boardman now and will be upgrading next year to the carbon Pro.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    the CX22 rims are really good buy the hubs are awful.

If it buckles, take it back and complain. .
    How on earth does a hub make the rim buckle? (clue, it doesn't!)
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.