bike fit query

Ferrals
Ferrals Posts: 785
edited May 2014 in MTB general
Firstly, I don't really find anything wrong when I ride my bike, in fact 99% of the time I love the ride. However, a while ago someone on the forum seemed to be saying i'd bought too big a bike, and ever since I've had a nagging feeling that I could improve the ride by buying an inline seatpost / shorter stem / zero rise bars. Realistically I think its a case of burning money syndrome, however since my wife took some photos of me riding over the weekend I thought I'd post some side on shots and ask the forums consensus on the bike fit. Do you think any mods/upgrades would improve the bike fit. The one thing I wonder about is trying to get the saddle slightly above the bars but i've got all the spacers on top of the stem - and it would be at the same height if I'd got a size small (27.5 wheels and 130mm travel fork means you can only go so low). Would an inline post, bringing the saddle forward mean the seatpost would end up being a bit higher?

pics below:
allsides_zps2495cebb.jpg

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    You're saddle is very low but the sizing looks fine. If you don't notice any problems, don't change it.
  • Ferrals
    Thanks. Do you mean I've got the saddle low for my leg length or just low in general? I did the foot on pedal at lowest point and almost straight knee thing to set it.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    If it's comfortable it's fine.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    Its not the bike that is the problem - have you seen the kecks that you are wearing? They are pants!
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Those shorts are so #enduro
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Doesn't look efficient for seated riding - I'd try the saddle a little higher, slowly at a time.
  • BigAl
    BigAl Posts: 3,122
    Bike looks fine, but seat does look low,

Outfit needs work.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Personally I set it with the knee a fraction (and I mean a fraction) from straight so it can't go past straight and lockout..... but that's personal preference.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Ferrals
    FishFish wrote:
    Its not the bike that is the problem - have you seen the kecks that you are wearing? They are pants!
    Those shorts are so #enduro
    BigAl wrote:
    Outfit needs work

I do sincerely apologize for any sartorial offense caused :oops: :lol:

Sadly after spending all my money on the bike, I didn't have £60 quid left over for a pair of fancy endura cycling baggies when I had loads of old surfing boardies at home that are lightweight, fast drying and made from 4-way stretch material and probably more fit for purpose than the 'proper' baggy cycling shorts :lol:

Anyway, personally I feel that they are less offensive than the lovely lycra onesies worn by most at the race.

Back on topic, thanks for the responses, I'll try raising the saddle and see if it is more efficient.
  • There's some useful advice on here:

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/technique-perfect-mountain-bike-fit-29498/

There was also a really useful short film with Steve Worland I think showing a technique where you use your arm to gauge the height of the saddle. It's difficult to explain otherwise, but you essentially put your armpit on the saddle and reach down to the BB. If the tip of your middle finger is touching the crank axle / centre of BB then the seat is correct.

It's worked for me for years.
  • cooldad
    Sounds like an arris about face idea to me - why not just use your legs? Bugger if you're a gorilla type with long arms and can't reach the pedals.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    Most peoples arm length matches there leg length (like 99%) and it's easier to do in one go off the bike than having to keep getting on an off.

I'm in the other 1% so it wouldn't work for me!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Ferrals
    I'll give all methods a go this evening and see if they match at all. I'd tried the heel on pedal but i had it pressed into the pedal, not just resting on it. should the knee be locked for the heel method or not?
  • The Rookie
    Personally, no, others may disagree!
  • cooldad
    I have normal legs, and keep it straight using my heel, and just a small bend on the ball of my foot.
    But I normally fiddle when I'm riding, so it might end up in a different place.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad
    I've been trying to match my arms to my legs but people are looking at me funny (funnier than usual anyway) so I've stopped.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Ferrals wrote:
    I'll give all methods a go this evening and see if they match at all. I'd tried the heel on pedal but i had it pressed into the pedal, not just resting on it. should the knee be locked for the heel method or not?

3 simple methods:
    - knee locked and heel on pedal
    - knee locked and toes go under pedal
    - foot on pedal at bottom of stroke, knee should be bent enough with no risk of "locking out".

All are a starting point, adjust to what feels comfortable.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava