landing tips?

melonheadboy
melonheadboy Posts: 28
edited May 2014 in MTB general
My work commute is practically a flat straight line (canal cycle path) but there's 3 embankments with decent depth,all have a small lift at the bottom...i go down them at speed to get my BUZZ on...problem is my landing ain't to pretty,can't seem to get front wheel down quick so always land doing a wheelie (so to speak)...tips welcome

cheers as always

Comments

• Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    Can you describe it a bit better? So basically 3 big drops to flat?
  • Sounds like a downhill with a little kicker jump at the bottom to me? I would say lean forwards more but might be difficult on a steep downhill, just try to shift weight forwards as fast as possible when your in the air
  • Roughly 40+ feet through trees,literally a S shape descent with a small kicker at bottom onto a small path.For added thrill you have to turn quick or its into a river...basically 15ft to decide whether wet or dry.

Granted this is not to white knuckle but it beats just cycling to work. B-)

Thanks for replies chaps
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If you can lift the front wheel slightly it won't kick up as much, but you need to then avoid the rear kicking higher than the front and landing on the front wheel, that or bunny hop the kicker if you don't need it, you'll then land naturally level ish.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    It's always better to leave via the back door than the front. If you're learning and getting it wrong by landing rear heavy at the moment, that's the better place to learn from. You keep more of your teeth. Conversely (but by no means more reliable), try to let the kicker do the work for you, don't focus on tucking and lifting. The kicker is there to get you into the air; keep your knees and arms bent as you up and leave, then use the extension in your arms and legs to find your landing angle.