on one

imsimon
imsimon Posts: 181
edited May 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi all
im just getting back in to mtb. Ive got an old gt aggressor with v brakes and want a new bike that id like to build myseld

im interested in two frames from on one the c456 and the whippet
just wondered if anyone has experience with boyh of them and can give their opinions?

I know yhe whippet is capable of taking 26" and 650b but not sure about 456

Comments

• passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    I had an regular inbred (not a 456) for years and liked it. Good for 100 or maybe 120mm forks. Geometry is close to or the same as the whippet - carbon will be a lot lighter. Inbred was good for XC, trail, trail centres & all day stuff and not at all bad and really challenging stuff. The 456 is obviously going to be burlier & suitable for longer forks too. For short intense blast I think the 456 would be great but for all day adventures I'd be on the whippet. I'd decide by how much travel you want - if 140'ish then the 456 but if 120mm then whippet.

Not sure about the wheel question - I'd phone up. I thought the regular inbreds could take 27.5 though...?

Great value bikes.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Many 26" hardtails will take 650B without issue.

As stated, the 456 and whippet are designed for different uses, the whippet is lighter but will only take a shorter fork while the 456 is designed for burlier use, the only criticism I've heard levelled is that the 456c is very stiff and gives you a good workout.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • imsimon
    imsimon Posts: 181
    Thanks guys
    ive decided to keep going with my old gt for a while just to see how I go and if I get back into it properly and will then hopefully look to vo for a whippet

cheers