First 25 Mile ride: DONE!

will_85
will_85 Posts: 84
edited May 2014 in MTB beginners
So I decided a few weeks back that I was going to get back into cycling a bit more seriously - A) Because I enjoy it and B) I need to shed some weight in time for summer!

Having recently bought a 2013 Trek 4700, I have managed to comfortably achieve my first 25 mile ride (25.6 to be precise) ........ Well happy with the new bike & pleased with the effort, after only being back on a bike for a few weeks, since a LOOONG time ago, all done around central London.

Looking to do a charity ride, London > Brighton, which is 56 miles iirc, so need to keep going, but definitely headed in the right direction.... Will be aiming for 30 miles on the next outing :)

Comments

• jon1993
    jon1993 Posts: 596
    well done keep up the hard work :)
    Scott Spark 30 carbon custom build
    Giant Faith 2 DH bike
    Boardman pro 2011
    Boardman team carbon 2010
    Carrera kracken 2009
    Specialized fsr pro 2009
    Haro custom build
    Cannondale custom build
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Keep it up and remember, off road miles are worth two on road. Twice as hard and ten times as much fun.
    Get entered in an event like the Exmoor Explorer for something to aim for.
  • jmillen
    jmillen Posts: 627
    Well done :) Keep it up and enjoy it
    2010 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Expert Carbon
    2014 De Rosa R848
    Carrera TDF Ltd Commuter
  • will_85
    will_85 Posts: 84
    Managed 32 miles today!

Definitely going to look at getting off road ASAP, I've heard Epping forest is worth a look & close to me in London.... Will have to make time to check it out :)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Almost anyone can manage 56 miles on a bike, the key is managing the pace so you don't 'blow up'. I'd never done more than 30 miles when I did my first 80 miler.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Road miles are easy. Off road is generally a lot tougher.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Same holds true though, pace and fuel yourself appropriately and you can keep going for ages.