Ground clearance question

JGTR
JGTR Posts: 1,404
edited May 2014 in MTB general
Hi all

Went to Afan this weekend, frikking awesome, first time proper mountain biking. Loved every minute but had a slight issue with the pedal hitting the ground occasionally which although didn't cause any major problems was very annoying :x Never had it happen before but then again I've never been on a proper trail.

I have a Specialized Camber Comp 2013 which apparently has a low bottom bracket.

My question is - is it my bike or is it just something that happens to everyone when you go to Afan?

Thanks

Jay

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Learn not to is about all I can say. Would happen everywhere
  • Try to ride with pedals level most of the time, then raise one side when you need to avoid big rocks
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    As above, look ahead up the trail to spot potential problems and then either stop pedalling when passing objects or adjust the timing to miss it depending on the nature of the terrain, can be a pain when going uphill of course!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • JGTR
    The Rookie wrote:
    As above, look ahead up the trail to spot potential problems and then either stop pedalling when passing objects or adjust the timing to miss it depending on the nature of the terrain, can be a pain when going uphill of course!

That's what I ended up doing, it will never be avoidable but my mate borrowed my Camber and he noticed it a lot more than on his Trek Fuel Ex8 26 :?
  • Ferrals
    Ferrals Posts: 785
    I get this a lot with my whyte which also has a low bb. most of the time its fine if you keep an eye ahead but occasionally on flat off camber stuff its annoying when you'ld want to be pedalling really. nothing you can do about it though!
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Low BBs add an element of stability but as you've discovered they also limit clearance esp with 175 cranks

As above try to look ahead and coast with the cranks level or with one higher than the other to avoid the obstacle. ime pedal strikes tend to be quite abrupt
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Inside pedal up when cornering.
    Pedals leval when not cornering or pedalling.
    Look out for possible pedal strikes when pedalling.
    A low bottom bracket is great for stability and cornering.
  • JGTR
    Cheers guys, I suppose it's a trade off against stability and keeping an eye out for hazards and the pedals level etc did really help

Must say really impressed with the Camber, as you say very stable and climbs like a monkey with a rocket up its ass!!

Just found out my 62 year old dad has broken his wrist - he did it in the Wall, didn't stop him doing Whites from the centre in the afternoon though, on a £600 Cube hardtail aswell :shock: Hardcore! (or possibly just stupid :lol: )