suspension travel

MrHaematocrit
MrHaematocrit Posts: 10
edited May 2014 in MTB beginners
I've just brought my first mountain bike (2014 epic world cup) and although it seems reasonable to my inexperienced hands I have noticed that most people I talk to with trail bikes seem to have more suspension travel the 95mm Rockshock SID world cup my bike has.
I brought the bike to ride at trail parks as such is there any advantage to having more travel on my bike if so what?
What would be the ideal amount of travel.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    So you have the epic carbon marathon with 29" wheels or?

More travel would be pointless and ruin the bike.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    There is no ideal amount of suspension travel. Frame geometry makes much more difference.
    My last bike was a Giant Anthem with 100mm front and rear and I never found it lacking, if anything on long rides that was better than my current bike which has 150 front and 130 rear.
  • nicklouse wrote:
    So you have the epic carbon marathon with 29" wheels or?

More travel would be pointless and ruin the bike.

Yep its a 29r, I'm enjoying the bike but was curious about the amount of travel different bikes have, if you never ask you never know.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    You have a race ready XC bike. Harder hitting bikes may have more travel, but that is a generalisation.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Indeed... You have the racey incarnation of one of the raciest FS bikes out there. It's designed to go as fast as possible everywhere, it's a peculiar choice if you're not racing. Even the normal Epic would be a better choice - more relaxed geometry and more travel.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    A 29er versus a 26er adds an effective 20mm to travel anyway as the bigger wheels ramp up over any step on the trail over a longer period.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.