The Hour *** spoilers ***

disgruntledgoat
disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
edited December 2016 in Pro race
This guy just nearly ruined the hour for me with his very American take on all things tech...

http://velonews.competitor.com/2014/02/bikes-and-tech/the-torqued-wrench-the-tech-behind-the-hour-record_317814

But I'm still really excited for the prospect of Canc taking on the most romantic record in the sport.

Do we think it'll happen?
"In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent

Comments

• Yes I think he will. He is an incredibly strong rider who has an incredible palmares and the Hour would set him apart from his contemporaries.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    I hope it does. Even better would be all three of last years worlds TT podium competing against each other for it.
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    Paul 8v wrote:
    I hope it does. Even better would be all three of last years worlds TT podium competing against each other for it.

I would settle for that. It could be a huge shoot out if some promoter could get them all to do it within a reasonably short space of time. Cant see them all doing it on the same day, sadly.

Who do you think is the strongest, mentally, for a challenge like the hour? Wiggins can be very up and down but If he puts his mind to something, and the track was his forte, he can be an awesome competitor. :D
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Yep, would love to see TM go for it too, and Wiggo if he can get himself back in top form.
  • Joelsim wrote:
    Yep, would love to see TM go for it too, and Wiggo if he can get himself back in top form.

Not sure where his head is at. He's 16 mins down on GC in Andalucía and that beard suggests that he is either going to live in a cave for the rest of his life or take out Canadian nationality.
    @JaunePeril

• Interesting read.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,243
    Still boggles the mind how they can average that speed for an hour.
  • DL1987
    DL1987 Posts: 204
    I'm sure if Fabs was go out there and smash and get a large amount of media kudos it may awaken something within Wiggins.
  • ...and that beard suggests that he is either going to live in a cave for the rest of his life..

With a volley ball named Wilson.

Anyway I hope Canc goes for it, but he'll still have to dislodge Robert Marchand from my heart.

robert-marchand-photo-le-dl-fabrice-hebrard.jpg
    Correlation is not causation.
  • ...and that beard suggests that he is either going to live in a cave for the rest of his life..

With a volley ball named Wilson.

Anyway I hope Canc goes for it, but he'll still have to dislodge Robert Marchand from my heart.

robert-marchand-photo-le-dl-fabrice-hebrard.jpg

He still looks younger than Quintana
    @JaunePeril

• Paul 8v
    mike6 wrote:
    Paul 8v wrote:

I would settle for that. It could be a huge shoot out if some promoter could get them all to do it within a reasonably short space of time. Cant see them all doing it on the same day, sadly.

Who do you think is the strongest, mentally, for a challenge like the hour? Wiggins can be very up and down but If he puts his mind to something, and the track was his forte, he can be an awesome competitor. :D
    Only a fool would bet against Martin normally, BUT I'm not sure on his track experience.

I don't think Wiggo is there mentally at the moment, his inner chimp went AWOL after the 2012 TDF as far as I can see.
  • It sure wouldn't be something to do unless you were very confident of taking the record, I think if wiggins went 100% he would take it, that said who knows which of TM, Fab and Wiggo would go better on the bike?
  • It sure wouldn't be something to do unless you were very confident of taking the record, I think if wiggins went 100% he would take it, that said who knows which of TM, Fab and Wiggo would go better on the bike?

I'm going to say Wiggo first; because he has the greater track experience and secondly; because I think the singleminded approach required in terms of the preparation etc suits him more than the other two.
    @JaunePeril

• majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    This guy just nearly ruined the hour for me with his very American take on all things tech...

http://velonews.competitor.com/2014/02/bikes-and-tech/the-torqued-wrench-the-tech-behind-the-hour-record_317814

I thought it was a good piece TBH. It would be crazy for someone like Cancellara to attempt the record without working on the marginal gains possible within the rules.

I'm a bit surprised about the part about frame materials. I had somehow assumed steel was mandatory, but it seems not.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    It sure wouldn't be something to do unless you were very confident of taking the record, I think if wiggins went 100% he would take it, that said who knows which of TM, Fab and Wiggo would go better on the bike?

I'm going to say Wiggo first; because he has the greater track experience and secondly; because I think the singleminded approach required in terms of the preparation etc suits him more than the other two.

Yep, agreed. Martin and Canc will alays have eyes on other prizes (personally or throught the team), but Wiggo doing the hour - the great british cycling story - is a gift to Sky, British Cycling and anyone else who cares to look in...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver wrote:
    It sure wouldn't be something to do unless you were very confident of taking the record, I think if wiggins went 100% he would take it, that said who knows which of TM, Fab and Wiggo would go better on the bike?

Yep, agreed. Martin and Canc will alays have eyes on other prizes (personally or throught the team), but Wiggo doing the hour - the great british cycling story - is a gift to Sky, British Cycling and anyone else who cares to look in...

I know, I know

WHY DOESNT HE UNDERSTAND HOW IMPORTANT IT IS THAT HE DOES IT

That is all
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545

Boys on the board don't like it. Not testing well in crucial LA markets.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • Macaloon wrote:

Boys on the board don't like it. Not testing well in crucial LA markets.

If it gets proper blinged up, it could be fine
  • Paul 8v
    His TT bike is already a bit blinged up anyway, he'll be fine.
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/lat ... ped-123397

Looks like a change in the rules to unify records and accommodate current endurance track bikes. Will there be a stampede to have a crack at it now?
    @JaunePeril

• graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    I imagine this plays into Wiggins hands more than Martin or Cancellara. He and the BC team certainly have a lot of experience with track legal pursuit bikes.
  • ic.
    ic. Posts: 769
    Graeme_S wrote:
    I imagine this plays into Wiggins hands more than Martin or Cancellara. He and the BC team certainly have a lot of experience with track legal pursuit bikes.

My thoughts too, but how much time and effort they would give to it considering it isn't an Olympic event is the thing.

I'd hope they'd let a rider use the UK Sport bike, but I doubt they'd invest much by way of research for a funded attempt.
    2020 Reilly Spectre - raw titanium
    2020 Merida Reacto Disc Ltd - black on black
    2015 CAAD8 105 - very green - stripped to turbo bike
    2018 Planet X Exocet 2 - grey

The departed:

2017 Cervelo R3 DI2 - sold
    Boardman CX Team - sold
    Cannondale Synapse - broken
    Cube Streamer - stolen
    Boardman Road Comp - stolen
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    edited May 2014
    Right people who can arrange this sort of thing. You know what we all want. Martin, Cancellara and Wiggins all going for the record at exactly the same time on three different velodromes. A TV event. A showdown of men and machines two weeks after the Worlds. Make it happen.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    With live on-board footage?
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    I could see Team Sky sponsors bank rolling it for the publicity and some of the BC guys/equipment being hired in as contractors or something similar. It's the sort of job I'd imagine you would want Shane Sutton around for. He seems to be the best person to have about when Wiggins needs a swift firm kick up the backside.
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    Graeme_S wrote:
    I could see Team Sky sponsors bank rolling it for the publicity and some of the BC guys/equipment being hired in as contractors or something similar. It's the sort of job I'd imagine you would want Shane Sutton around for. He seems to be the best person to have about when Wiggins needs a swift firm kick up the backside.

^This.

It has the whiff of a documantary serialised over several weeks, nicely rounds off Wiggins' palmares as well.

I do love the idea of a simultaneous three way attempt though with Fab and Martin.
    @JaunePeril

• alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,546
  • Paul 8v
    So Boardman's record of 56.374km will be reinstated but the record will be 49.441km. What?
  • jscl
    jscl Posts: 1,015
    RichN95 wrote:
    Right people who can arrange this sort of thing. You know what we all want. Martin, Cancellara and Wiggins all going for the record at exactly the same time on three different velodromes. A TV event. A showdown of men and machines two weeks after the Worlds. Make it happen.
    The "people who can arrange this sort of thing" have been discussing it since last September. It's a nice idea, but don't expect the multi-attempt broadcast. When it happens, it'll be done solo. Trek are already well advanced with their bike design for the effort. The plan being to sell track bikes off the back of it.
    Follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/scalesjason - All posts are strictly my personal view.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    I agree. Of course some people want some 3 way event that's got slick trailers on Sky like those for a heavyweight boxing match, with emotive music and all that crap. Of course, if it did happen, it would then actually turn out to be watching a bloke go round and round for an hour whilst looking at a clock and a distance. Don't get me wrong though the hour record I think is a magic and wonderful thing, but it simply doesn't need the slick TV production crap.

Unless the slick emotive coverage is done tongue in cheek like it is with Darts for example :)