Convert road bike to cyclo

esdel
esdel Posts: 28
edited June 2014 in Cyclocross
Im a roadie but I have little interest in mountain biking, however in love the idea of cyclo cross.

Can I just convert a standard road bike to a cyclo cross bike,

I have spare wheels, cassettes, deraliuers etc, so can I just stick bigger tyres on,

if this is possible I can imagine I'm going to have problems in certain area's, I'm not looking to race just think it will help my road biking,

Advise is appreciated.

Comments

• mattjevans
    mattjevans Posts: 253
    Your road bike might not have tyre clearance for the tyres that you need?
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    The main difference between road and CX is the tyre clearance, most CX tyres are about 30-35mm? Most road bikes won't take that sort of tyre.

I'd love to be able to do that with my road bike, just whack some CX tyres on, but it's not that easy :(
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    A cyclocross bike can be converted easily for road use but not the other way around. There are 2 problems I can think of:
    1. As mentioned above you'll need clearance for suitable tyres. Typically 32-35mm. Some road bikes will only manage 23mm while most will be fine up to 25mm or maybe 28mm. I don't think there are many with sufficient clearance for 30mm+ tyres.
    2. Road brakes don't give you much rim clearance which could be a problem in muddy conditions. It may also cause problems with tyre clearance as per 1 and also clearing the tyre for taking off/putting on a wheel.
  • esdel
    Thanks for the replies.

And I don't mean to upset anyone with this statement but.

A cyclocross bike is basically a mountain bike with drop handlebars ?

So if I got hold of an old mountain bike and put drops on it, would that work ?

Just trying to get a handle on it, as I said I won't be racing, just more for fun with a little one.
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,514
    It would be down to geometry - putting a drop bar on a mountain bike frame is going to stretch your arms out a bit. I have seen it done but I wouldn't fancy it myself.

You'd probably run into problems with gear & brake pulls if you try and run MTB mechs and brakes from road bike controls as well.
  • markhewitt1978
    esdel wrote:
    A cyclocross bike is basically a mountain bike with drop handlebars ?

No; it's a road bike with clearance for wider tyres. MTB has quite a different geometry and often suspension forks etc.
  • simonj
    simonj Posts: 346
    If you're trying to source the frame and use some bits you have, rather than using and old road frame or trying to get hold of an old MTB frame, why not just try and get hold of an old CXframe?!?! :)
  • esdel
    Well this has answered everything, many thanks all

Co frame, with my bits and a set of wheels and I'm away.
  • markhewitt1978
    esdel wrote:

I've been thinking along similar lines as I have most of the parts I need except a CX frame.
  • esdel wrote:

You will need new brakes Cantis/V-Brakes, road calipers will not have mouting points on a CX bike, and even if it did you would have clearance issues.
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    If anyone's interested in a ~54cm steel cross frame with disc and canti mounts (and carbon forks) drop me a PM :-)
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Few road frames have decent clearances to take CX tyres - need need at least 5-6mm space too otherwise mud will pack. If going the used MTB route, simply stick with flat bars, maybe a rigid fork and fit some skinnier tyres - will see you through your local league. Fitting drop bars to an MTB can be a faff due to differing frame geometries
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,240
    Perfectly feasible, as shown by the MTB legend John Tomac

tomacretro.JPG-480-90-480-70.jpg
    left the forum March 2023
  • monkimark
    ^ Wrong kind of disc wheel Ugo ;)
  • Ber Nard
    Ber Nard Posts: 827
    Better?

tuckerTomac_Yeti_Final_1ws.jpg
  • monkimark
    Proper.

I wanted one of those Tioga disc wheels soooo much when I was younger.
    Looking back, I'm not sure what the appeal was (although I suspect it was a lot to do with John Tomac)