Break in Southern England with SOME cycling

redrabbit
redrabbit Posts: 93
edited May 2014 in Holidays
I'm really new to mountain biking, and I'm going to buy my GF a half decent mountain bike for her birthday in June.

Part of the gift is to book a few nights away in a B&B somewhere, with some very leisurely places to cycle, like down a river pathway, through a forest, a few hills, but lots of stops at pubs, villages, some nice scenary.

I'd like to say, it's NOT a cycling holiday as such, but more a break with some nice places to cycle around and see the area.

I live in Reading, so anywhere without 2 hours drive is good, 3 max. I was thinking maybe Wales as that's got some lovely scenary... or Devon maybe?

Any other suggestions?

Comments

• Could try the New Forest. There are a number of trails through the Forest which you can find, most with decent directions. Unsurprisingly these are fairly flat, most forest trails and fire roads, although there are a few shortish climbs here and there. But well suited if you are both new, not at all technical.

The big win is the number of forest pubs dotted around at good points, many with good views or charming settings etc.

Enjoy