high 5 energy products

Ferrals
Ferrals Posts: 785
Do high 5 energy gels include electrolytes? Can you use the zero tablets and energy gels at the same time?

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    They've got some salt and potassium in them IIRC, but not really.

Yes.
  • Ferrals
    Cheers.

What would your standard take on fuel and hydration be for an xc race?

I'm doing sport on the weekend, race is at 11, 20k so should take me about 1hr20.

I was thinking, bowl of porridge about 8.30, I've got a powerbar fruit and nut to eat 1/2hr before the race, and a couple of the high5 caffine plus gels (i thought I'd probably just have one about half way through) and then just put one of the zero tabs in my camelback. not sure if that is overkill, or if you really need the electrolyte drink but i've had a couple of cramps recently so figured it wouldn't harm. never tried an electrolyte drink before though so might try one this eve.
  • njee20
    I'd use bottles, rather than a Camelbak.

Personally I make sure I'm well hydrated the day before. Porridge (or muesli) in the morning, drink a bottle of High 5 Source before the race, a gel 30 minutes before the start, then for a race like that I'd mix up 2 bottles of High 5, add some Elete water and carry as many gels as I have laps (I'm guessing 3?). Generally won't take one a lap, but have it as an option.

Personally I don't use High 5 Zero/Zym/Nuun tablets for racing - find the energy more useful than the electrolytes.

Assume you're racing a regional champs somewhere?
  • Ferrals
    Yeah doing the welsh at fforest fields - doing the sport cat (4 x 5km laps) and its my first race in about 15 years! only been back cycling since the beginning of the year so I'm not expecting to do well - but been trying to train a bit and would like to do the best I can. judging from my strava times and looking at previous race results/times I think depending on the course i should come mid field if all goes well - just dont want to come last!! really excited to give it a go again! going to do 20k full speed tonight as a last practise.

I've only got a camelbak so its what i'm going to use, also what I'm used to.
  • njee20
    Yep, fair enough. Whatever you plan to use, try it before hand. If you want to do well I'd not worry too much about doing 20k flat out tonight, do something a bit shorter to keep your legs fresh. No training you do now will make any difference, but you can still make yourself tired.
  • Ferrals
    Ah nice one - thanks - well will do a bit of a shorter one tonight then.

Are you doing one of the regionals too?
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Ferrals wrote:
    Do high 5 energy gels include electrolytes? Can you use the zero tablets and energy gels at the same time?

Yes you can and I often do. I quite like the tablets because if nothing else they put a bit of flavour into the water otherwise it just tastes of plastic.
  • njee20
    Are you doing one of the regionals too?

Yep, Southerns. Stupid they're all on the same day now, they used to be spread - so if you were chasing points you could do several regional champs and get a load more Category D races!
  • Ferrals
    Ah cool I used to do the SAMS and Xlite ones at Matchams Park back in the mid nineties when I lived in Hampshire. great fun races :D