Step downs

The secret rider
The secret rider Posts: 812
edited May 2014 in MTB general
Hi all,

I am wondering if anyone has a good video of how to ride step down jumps . . . there is one locally CIRCA 15ft span which is larger than i have ridden before the kicker is ok and the landing is steep and about 7/8 ft lower than the take off.

I know videos can only show you so much but in the past i have found them useful as a relative new guy.

I'm sure i have seen some videos before whilst browsing but cant find them now. . . if it jogs anyone's memory the video i have seen at some point ends in the tutor doing a HUGE step down off some north shore.

Any links, vids, or anything else welcome :)

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    It's not something to learn from videos. Kicker shapes vary a lot, landings are different etc.
    What works on one won't work on another. I know some which are just lots of speed and hang on and others which need some jumping technique.
    Best thing is to get tips from mates who can ride it and then follow them off it to match their speed.
    If you're doing on your RZ120 you really don't want to come up short on a 7-8 foot drop, its going to kill your bike.
    A 15 foot gap is very short with a 7 foot drop, should be easy to clear.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    I wouldn't call 15ft short, but whatever.
    Though as he said ^ it varies from jump to jump. Some can be lots of pedalling and little technique, some take a bit of technique, some are sketchy as fuck, maybe follow someone in and see how they ride it?
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • rockmonkeysc
    15 foot is short for a 7 foot drop, your not going to need much speed especially if there's a kicker to send you up as well.
    Most step downs that high seem to have a 25 -35 foot gap.
  • Thanks for the advise ... Perhaps my aprox measurements is wrong I will go back and check I could be miles out to be honest . . . I spotted it in a local woods where no one rides anymore so no one to ask.

Dont want to waste your times so let me go back and take some pics

Like you say it's not a big bike either only now learning what type of riding I like so have to ride what I've got for now
  • rockmonkeysc
    Start on small stuff and build up. A xc bike is not going to be forgiving if you get it wrong, reasonable chance of wrecking your bike if you get a big step down wrong.
  • ej2320
    ej2320 Posts: 1,543
    Check if it looks safe and well built enough to ride

Then decide what you need to do in order to clear it and land it

Oh, and if in doubt go flat out