Another boring this or that beginner post to bore you all!

Srsbsnss
Srsbsnss Posts: 2
edited May 2014 in MTB beginners
Hi Guys/Girls

I am looking to get back in to riding trails probably light(ish) for the near future... I have the hoodoo or the Kraken in mind. I understand although some components not ideal the frames are pretty solid and both aren't so bad for the price range. Could anybody that has had a chance to throw them around a bit give me some pro's/con's of either bike?

Any info/tips would be greatly appreciated

Cheers! :)

Comments

• Rad2474
    Rad2474 Posts: 162
    I had the bantu which is the bike below the hoodoo,handles trail centres and local woods etc. just fine. My kona is faster and more controlled but it's a higher spec bike. Take your time to learn both yours and the bikes limitations and you'll be fine,can't comment on the kraken.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    I have an older HooDoo, from before the fork got down-graded to a coil and the brakes from Auriga Comp to Gemini.
    It's a blast on my local trails and definitely at it's best pointed downhill.

Biggest downside is the weight (nominal 14.1kg) makes what should be a 14mph climb into a 12 mph climb but not sure how this adds up against the Kraken's 300g lighter 13.8kg.

Don't forget to join British Cycling if you're buying from Halfords, 10% off, £20 membership so £30 off a £500 bike.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I love my Carrera but it's nowhere near standard and is the older lighter frame, the frame geometry is similar though, it makes for a nimble bike where the Voodoo feels more planted (on the short ride I had on one) and less nimble, which would kind of support Init's comment about downhill riding.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.