crank arms problem

osbourne
osbourne Posts: 4
edited May 2014 in MTB beginners
Hi, please help me if u know how. I have felt q8oo and truvativ howitzer cranks. I want to take them off and clean everythng, but I dont know how. Ive bought crank puller from ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bike-Bicycle-Cycle-Crank-Wheel-Puller-Remover-Repair-Extractor-Maintenance-Tool-/191166731729?pt=UK_SportsLeisure_Cycling_BikeLocks_SR&hash=item2c826cd5d1 but its not working because i dont have square crank inside the nave. how can i take off the bloody pedals?

thank you

b

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    If they don't have self extracting bolts I think you need an Isis tool - that one should work if it came with the little magnetic cup for the end.
    Otherwise read Parktools below.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    No crank puller needed just undo the center bolt and it pulls the arm off.

If you have removed the extracting ring refit it.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • osbourne
    thank you. yes, ive removed the center bolt but i cant remove crank arms, dunno why....? are they stuck? how can i remove them?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    How did you get the bolt out?

If you removed a ring you should not have.

Put it all back together and then undo the bolt. It presses on the ring removing the arm.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • osbourne
    i have removed only one bolt here with allan wrench....but this bols seem to only prevent dirt to get inside the crank... http://upload.slike.com/slike/2014/05/1 ... 214217.jpg
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I've had Howitzer that were NOT self extracting and had to use an ISIS crank puller
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.