Boardman vs Merida?

RegDave
RegDave Posts: 7
edited May 2014 in MTB beginners
Looking for a new bike and narrowed it down to either a Merida 140 5B or Boardman FS Pro.... can get both for about the same price £1350ish....

Mostly ride XC and looking to do some trail, have tried both bikes (around car park!!), really impressed with both, however my confusion arises from WMTB reviews!
The Board is Value trail bike of the year, but the Merida is No. 1 entry level full sus (Board No. 3).
Does this mean the Merida is so much better on the rough stuff, obviously the Board is better specced!

Anyone ridden both? Need to make a decision soon....

Thx

Comments

• Ferrals
    Ferrals Posts: 785
    If you are mostly riding xc and trail, why don't you buy a hardtail? At that price you get a much more sorted hardtail... and they are more fun anyway!

edit: I say this because many moons ago i bought a lower end full suss and it put me off mtb for a long time
  • RegDave
    Thanks, but like I said "i've narrowed it down", spent too much time looking so just need to decide between these 2!

Just interested if anyone has an opinion on these 2?

Thanks
  • muddpuppy
    muddpuppy Posts: 87
    I've just brought the boardman pro myself and so far am more than happy with it I got the price down to £1295 and also got £60 towards extras which got me a shock pump and tyre pump and a few other little bits
  • andg
    andg Posts: 4
    Hi. Can I ask how you got the price this low as they are advertised at £1500 I think. Was thinking about the Boardman also? Cheers.
  • muddpuppy
    andg wrote:
    Hi. Can I ask how you got the price this low as they are advertised at £1500 I think. Was thinking about the Boardman also? Cheers.
    In your internet search just type 22% off halfords and it should tell you there I ignored the vouchers part and just asked at the shop to match the price for cash I also told them there was £60 spend and save on the online price which they gave me in credit to use in store rrp is £1599
  • RegDave
    £1266 if you use quidco :lol:
  • muddpuppy
    RegDave wrote:
    £1266 if you use quidco :lol:
    I never used quidco because I wanted to make sure they would accept the cash alternative of the vouchers
  • andg
    andg Posts: 4
    Thanks
  • kammybear
    kammybear Posts: 500
    Had the 2014 Boardman FS at 999 and that was a very good bike for the price! Even had X9 shifters! If you can get the Pro for 1300, that would be great!