Frame advice really needed.

markybhoy71
markybhoy71 Posts: 20
edited May 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi hope someone reads this and can help me,I have a carrera banshee se mountain bike it's a good few years old and still in mint condition,the issue I have is the frame has now split and can not be repaired so what I was thinking was getting a hard tail frame and swapping over all my banshee parts since there are still in great working order,but what make of frame should I get that the parts will fit on,also do all bike cranks and forks have the same diameter so can fit any frame,and the back wheel has 7 sprockets so the back of the frame needs to wide enough to take the wheel if you know what I mean lol iv got upto £100 to spend so any advice would be gratefull thanks for reading this and any ideas passed on to me :D

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Any that the parts will fit.

Measure and see.

The only one that you can be 100% sure that things will fit is the same make model and year as what you have now.

I would suggest reading Parktools so that you know what the differences are so know then know what you are looking at and what dimensions you need to know.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    There is a myriad of combinations of fitments - and until you can narrow down what exactly you have is hard to say really. What year frame? Do you know any of the measurements ie seat tube diameter, bottom bracket width, dropout width?
  • No sure what the measurements on the bike are just that brakes and gears are shimano deore and 26"wheels,the bike is suspension version about 8-10 years old but everything is in great condition no rust and very few scratches that's why I'd like to put on another frame cause in feel it would be a shame to through it all out cause of a broken frame.i could buy a new complete bike but want the chalk angle of doing this project and knowing I made this and be chuffed of it something I wouldn't get with a new bought bike.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    Most things will fit, the ones that may vary will be the seatpost (not too expensive to replace) the corresponding seat clamp (pretty cheap) and the front derailleur (you can get inexpensive ones). If you get a steel frame such as the On-One Inbred (I'm assuming you have disk brakes here) the bottom bracket, fork and other parts won't be a problem but the three things I listed above almost certainly will.

You'll also find there are other expenses involved as you go along - it would be wise to replace cables while you're swapping stuff over, for instance
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • Aye gif they are disk brakes on my bike,that's what it wondered do all other frames have the same fixings at the same place for screwing the brakes back on,I saw some frames on ebay,and didna want to purchase till ive fully checked out and end up with a frame that no bits fit on then have to buy all new bits lol,also the width of the back of the bike was a concern cause I know some are smaller than mine cause mine has seven gear gigs and others are narrower to fit ones with five gigs :D
  • Giraffoto
    There are two common ways of attaching disk brakes and you can get adapters for just about any one of them to any other. If there's a difference in width at the rear hub your wheel is likely to be narrower by around 5mm, which isn't much.
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • Hi gir I measured the gap of the back fork and its 135mm is that about normal for decent frames,and are know headset pipe on frame are they a standard dia for fitting my old front suspension forks,am looking at a voodoo frame but forks not included.
  • Giraffoto
    Hi gir I measured the gap of the back fork and its 135mm is that about normal for decent frames,and are know headset pipe on frame are they a standard dia for fitting my old front suspension forks,am looking at a voodoo frame but forks not included.

135mm is normal. Any fork with a straight (not tapered) steerer should fit in just about any frame you get, but you'll need the right headset to mate them together. This is the point to get your local bike shop involved, because headsets come in lots of shapes and sizes.
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • Cheers for all the help and info am gonna read up some more stuff that iv found before jumping straight in but the quicker the better need out and about in this weather lol iv been looking at other parts that fit on to the frame am looking at so if I can get away with the majority of parts of my old bike to new frame then ill just upgrade to new bit for new frame spend that wee but extra for the good fitting stuff cheers
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Get a used Carrera HT frame, cheap as chips, the older one (no brace from top tube to seat tube) the same age as the Banshee and it will funnily enough take just about everything from the Banshee including seatpost and front mech, wheels and forks (as they were all fitted to one of the models of HT anyway!).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I'll look into that rookie cheers for all the help tried other forums aswell and no one bothers to answer your questions apart from this one so this is the one ill sticking to in future for all my questions :mrgreen:
  • The Rookie
    If an 18" is your size, then this would be a good option.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Carrera-Fury- ... 2ed10c490c
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • That frame would be ideal it looks in mint condition and cheap as chips lol if everything swaped over that would be brilliant cheers mate
  • The Rookie
    I have that age HT (link in sig below) and a friend has a Banshee of similar age to yours, I'm very confident it will all swap over as the seat tube is the same diameter and the bottom bracket the same and the headtube the same.
  • Hi rookie iv found another frame carrera hard tail in red 20" looks cracking not sure of age it's on most my things should still swap over eh even if it's a newer bike but still same make.
  • The Rookie
    Red painted is circa 2007-2008, that will be compatable with your banshee in ensuring as much as possible carries over.

Is 20" the size you want?
  • r3hxn
    r3hxn Posts: 127
    I was in a similar position and started my project a few weeks ago being a complete noob. There's definitely a lot to read and understand, things you will only appreciate once you begin and expenses you may not of thought about. A book I found really helpful and very comprehensive is this Maintenance book on Amazon

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Total-Bike-Maintenance-Book/dp/1847329802/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1399467456&sr=8-1&keywords=total+bike+maintenance+book

After reading many websites about headsets and bottom brackets, I thought I had it right in my head. Until I read this book and it opened up a lot more questions I hadn't thought about. Needless to say, £12 on the book, may save you a lot of £'s later on.

You may also need a crank extractor and bottom bracket tool for your project, I got both off ebay for less then £15.
    If you are going to strip and paint your new frame, calculate cost of supplies too ( around £40 for me, Nitromos, Primer, Spray paint, decals etc)

Cannondale Cx2 Hybrid
    Scott Scale - Custom mtb - Work in progress
  • Giraffoto
    r3hxn wrote:
    If you are going to strip and paint your new frame, calculate cost of supplies too ( around £40 for me, Nitromos, Primer, Spray paint, decals etc)

I did that calculation, and found a local powder coating place that will do a frame for around £45. No mess, no work on my part apart from getting the frame there and choosing a colour. The DIY option doesn't include a cost for your time.
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • The Rookie
    r3hxn wrote:
    Mine cost me £35 to do and that included etch primer (a must for aluminum, conventional primer is a waste of time) at £15 instead of circa £5 for normal stuff.
  • r3hxn
    Giraffoto wrote:
    r3hxn wrote:

I did that calculation, and found a local powder coating place that will do a frame for around £45. No mess, no work on my part apart from getting the frame there and choosing a colour. The DIY option doesn't include a cost for your time.

thats a really good price! what area was that in?

Cannondale Cx2 Hybrid
  • r3hxn
    The Rookie wrote:
    r3hxn wrote:
    Mine cost me £35 to do and that included etch primer (a must for aluminum, conventional primer is a waste of time) at £15 instead of circa £5 for normal stuff.

something like this?
    http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_170745_langId_-1_categoryId_165625

I havn't proceeded with the painting yet. theres still time for me to make the right calls.

cheers

Cannondale Cx2 Hybrid
  • The Rookie
    Yup that's the primer.
  • Giraffoto
    r3hxn wrote:
    Giraffoto wrote:
    r3hxn wrote:

thats a really good price! what area was that in?

It's this company - http://www.kustomkoating.co.uk/, they're based in Berkhamsted. The price may have changed in the year or two since I had it done, but it won't be by much
    XM-057 rigid 29er