Voodoo Bantu 2011 vs Voodoo Bantu 2013/2014

Chalupa Batman
Chalupa Batman Posts: 5
edited May 2014 in MTB beginners
Hello all, i'm new to all this (both forums and MTB) and i'm looking for
some help deciding on the Voodoo Bantu 2011 or the Voodoo Bantu 2013/2014.
Both are the same price at halfords but i can't find any reviews on the Bantu 2013/2014
at all online (the only video featuring the 2013/2014 models is from halfords itself).
Looking to buy this weekend but stuck on which one, the main differences i can tell
(keep in mind i don't really know much about it) are the forks (air on the 2011 v coil on the 2013/2014) and
Shimano brakes v Tektro (both hydraulic).
Any help would be very much appreciated.

Comments

• ElliesDad
    ElliesDad Posts: 245
    As a rule of thumb, go for the older model as manufacturers tend to keep the price the same but reduce the specification of the new bikes so you will be getting a better specified bike with the 2011 model.

You could also try negotiating a discount on the older model using the argument it is old stock!
    2012 Boardman FS Team
    2014 Giant Defy 2
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Air better than coil, Shimano better than Tektro, get the older one and angle for some money off as well!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Chalupa Batman
    Chalupa Batman Posts: 5
    edited April 2014
    Thank's for the reply's guys, i took your advice and went for the 2011 (ordered it online with a discount to pick up tomorrow) and just had a missed call/voice mail message from halfords saying the bike i ordered is actually a display model (so they will sort out some sort of discount) and that for some reason the seals on the fork are blown so they need to be serviced and the bike wont be ready for pick up until monday.
    Is it still worth it? even with the discount? i'm going to call them to find out how much the discount actually is, just wanted to know if it's still worth it, i dont mind being a display bike but bit worried about the fork...
    Again thanks in advance

Update: Just spoke to them i managed to get it down to £350 w/ a shock pump included (that i had already ordered anyway). What do you guys think? Originally all was going to be £380 with a included £40 online discount.
  • ElliesDad
    I would make sure you give the bike a thorough check over before you commit. I would also ask if they would be able to source replacement forks instead of servicing the ones on the bike? Bit puzzling as to why the seals would have blown on a display model!
    2012 Boardman FS Team
    2014 Giant Defy 2
  • Yeah i thought that was weird too for a display bike... They told me they think that might be the problem but they are sending it to another shop to get it looked at/sorted. They also asked me if i wanted the 2014 model instead because that 2011 is the very last one and they are hard to find (i assume they mean another one for me to have), im picking it up hopefully tuesday (they said they would ring when its ready) but if i spot something "bad" ill simply walk away (i'm paying at pick up).
  • Superdon
    Superdon Posts: 48
    How much are they doing the Bantu for?

I went to a Halfords with one of the old ones left on display. They offered to discount down to £275 and throw in some free accessories. I thought it was a good deal, but then I decided against it. I didn't haggle that either.

Not sure how true it is but have been told by a few people (inc ex halfords employees) that display bikes have parts borrowed from them to fix other bikes and they are not always replaced with true spec parts - if that makes sense. Might explain the faulty forks though.
  • buddy_club
    buddy_club Posts: 935
    Superdon wrote:
    How much are they doing the Bantu for?

I went to a Halfords with one of the old ones left on display. They offered to discount down to £275 and throw in some free accessories. I thought it was a good deal, but then I decided against it. I didn't haggle that either.

Not sure how true it is but have been told by a few people (inc ex halfords employees) that display bikes have parts borrowed from them to fix other bikes and they are not always replaced with true spec parts - if that makes sense. Might explain the faulty forks though.
    Its true, you sometimes see the mechanics borrowing bits of the display bikes. No biggie of course but i would absolutely check that everything is there and in working order.
    Framebuilder
    Handbuilt Steel 29er https://goo.gl/RYSbaa
    Carbon Stumpjumper https://goo.gl/xJNFcv
    Parkwood:http://goo.gl/Gf8xkL
    Ribble Gran Fondo https://goo.gl/ZpTFXz
    Triban:http://goo.gl/v63FBB
  • ElliesDad
    My last bike was a Boardman Comp HT and the rebound adjuster fell out of the bottom of the fork while on a trail as it wasn't screwed in properly! I went into my local Halfords and they took the adjuster off one of the display bikes and gave it to me to fit to mine. So yes, they do cannibalise the display bikes. All the more reason to check it over thoroughly to make sure no parts are missing!
    2012 Boardman FS Team
    2014 Giant Defy 2
  • The Bantu was £400 originally (now £350 w/ shock pump), thanks for the heads up guys, will definitely keep an eye
    out for missing bits and the like.
    Bit nervous about the all thing now, picking it up tomorrow hopefully, almost wishing i would have gone for the 2014 one if i had known hah, really hope everything is going to be in order.
  • Superdon
    Superdon Posts: 48
    Knock them down more than that if you take it. Like I say was offered one for £275 and it looked in good condition. They also said they would include accessories. Try to see if you can get the BC discount as well.
  • I had/rode hard the 2011 Bantu for over 2yrs,handled XC like a dream and had no issues with the bike from start to selling (helped purchased more expensive bike) BUT,if i had to have the Bantu again i would purchase with a big smile.