Show me your bike storage solutions

p1tse
p1tse Posts: 694
edited May 2014 in Road general
I'm in the middle of tidying up the garage, wanting to leave space for car, treadmill, rower, shelving unit and then need to make space for road bike, couple of mountain bikes and kids bikes

Looking for some inspirations

I can't hang it up due to up and over doors and then needing space for stuff listed above

I might be able to fit my road bike up on the wall so maybe look for a simple item, halfords sell a couple
Then thinking maybe just floor racks?
Wanted: Cube Streamer/Agree GTC Compact / Pro/ Race : 53cm

Comments

• 2014_04_20_19_10_55.jpg

Solves all problems. Kids stuff and junk ( mountain bikes) in shed. Garage to become man cave. If the exercise equipment is used by your wife then put that in the shed as well.
  • p1tse
    Unfortunately haven't got the space or funds for shed

I do have a small space behind the garage which would be ideal for a couple of bikes , but would be too pricey to erect something
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    Some kind of wall hook is the obvious solution, that or just leaving the car outside?
  • p1tse
    Yeah I think some wall hooks will be the case
    And recommendations?
  • 47p2
    47p2 Posts: 329
    P1050491.jpg
  • term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    DSC_0275_zpsd9e7e77d.jpg

The top-tube of the bike sits on the handlebars. In the basement rather than the garage, it is for bikes that don't like getting cold, see the link in my signature. The garage has a conventional bike rack for four bikes, another one lives on the work stand and one is lent up against a wall, and two hang from the ceiling on Aldi hoists. Not all mine, but most are. No room for a car, or anything else.
  • p1tse
    Thanks

That's a nice collection there in the above pic
  • Jester27
    Jester27 Posts: 29
    Yes, wall hooks is probably what you need. This is my garage

da226e2bc24e51f0d4932e501b15c8a6_zps91ba561f.jpg

59287e88bba85175e40467271d3125ca_zpsf7a917c2.jpg

9a245903a0962d86e4fe407756af616f_zps696ba4e7.jpg
  • dilatory
    dilatory Posts: 565
    Now that's a garage. Wow!
  • Jester27
    :D Cheers. someone described it as 'a garage for everything and everything in it's place'. I like that so I'll use it here.

Here are a few more pics...

b94f465c41b5a72fab1e4e68f747f3c7_zps6dc23816.jpg

8845222686339278eb859425987fc5a1_zps3e64e08d.jpg

33da0f5c4c3a24d88e7ae5a991d53547_zps1e507455.jpg
  • dilatory
    It's immaculate too. Even if you came and transformed my garage to look like that, in a week each of those shiny white doors would have a greasy thumb print on.
  • Jester27
    Lol! These were tatty old kitchen cupboards that were there when I moved in. All I did was add some vinyl wrap and change the knobs and it transformed them. A quick wipe with a wet wipe and all is clean again. The floor is more difficult to keep clean, needs a mop and bucket.
    The floor was all hand painted. Took lots of masking tape, accurate measurements, a few weeks and a tolerant wife!
  • p1tse
    Jester27 wrote:
    Lol! These were tatty old kitchen cupboards that were there when I moved in. All I did was add some vinyl wrap and change the knobs and it transformed them. A quick wipe with a wet wipe and all is clean again. The floor is more difficult to keep clean, needs a mop and bucket.
    The floor was all hand painted. Took lots of masking tape, accurate measurements, a few weeks and a tolerant wife!

Hand painted, I give you praise for that, amazing!

Lucky you're not into car detailing!?
  • Jester27
    Cheers!

Not lucky unfortunately, out there most weekends, hours lost!

388baeb9159d52d009dbbdc95c5d3d70_zpsa4105fdd.jpg
  • dilatory
    Goodness me. I feel well and truly like a pauper now!
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    I've got a small.shed with a set of vinyl bars that stick out of the walls and the 2 bikes hook on through the main part of the frame.leaves space to get another 2 bikes in b and stuff underneath the hanging ones.
  • p1tse
    Wow
    Nice very nice

How do you find time with cycling, detailing?
  • ellotreacle
    ellotreacle Posts: 76
    Jester, very nice.

Been trying to figure out what to do to my garage for ages, yours has just given me a serious lightbulb moment, can't wait to get started. :D
    Don't think it will be as neat and tidy but I can only try. :wink:
  • rickeverett
    rickeverett Posts: 988
    @ Jester - what carbon hoops & tyres have you got on your MEKK ?
  • Jester27
    Cheers all.
    Rick, I took a punt at the Carbon wheels on eBay from China, and after 3000miles, no problems at all, In fact they have been fantastic.
    The tyres are Schwalbe Ultremo ZX, recently changed as the last ones started to crack on the sidewalls and I've heard and seen bad things about their sidewalls, but noticed they've changed the design for this year. They seem much more robust. A very nice lightweight tyre with good levels of grip IMHO.

BTW to OP, I have staggered the bikes in height and alternately faced them up then down. More efficient use of space and I've managed to get 8 bikes in just over 1/2 the garage length. Up and over door clearance sets the position of the first bike.
  • Camcycle1974
    Camcycle1974 Posts: 1,356
    Nice garage you have there. Have a purpose built cycle store in our new house but need some hooks. How do the ones in the picture attach to the wall/bike and where did you get them? Please and thank you.
  • rgasuk
    rgasuk Posts: 89
    Fantastic garage, gave me some ideas, thanks for sharing . 8)
    Road - Scott solace .
    Training - giant xtc 1
    Mtb - Yt Capra pro
    Past - Scott spark , caadx ultegra , canyon ultimate cf slx ,trek madone , ridley x-fire , giant Defy, giant trance
  • Jester27
    Ta. The hooks are just ladder hooks, found in most DIY shops. Here are the same ones in B&Q. A bargain solution considering the prices of some of the bike rack solutions I was looking at on the web. I just drilled 8mm into the breeze blocks and added raw plug, then screwed the hooks in. I set the height of the hooks so the bike was just off the ground when resting on it's own weight.

http://www.diy.com/nav/build/ladders/ex ... d=13319283

ecf7dcde10868f974cf34f749eb25f69_zps4d9bad9a.jpg

cc17e95075007930fb31c13580291d51_zpsc0f144ee.jpg
  • whoof
    whoof Posts: 756
    The garage is where I keep a car, some tools and logs for the log burner. We used to have a dining room this has 8 bikes in it with another 3 in one of the spare bedrooms. Some day I'll sort something out and hang them up or something, but not in the garage.