Anyone mount their phone AND use earphones plugged in?

amityweb
amityweb Posts: 44
edited May 2014 in Road general
I use my iPhone to listen to music and feedback how I am doing compared to previous rides. I am thinking of getting a mounted GPS for new routes I need to follow a map so I am not stop/starting all the time.

Do you think its Ok to plug earphones into the phone mounted on the handlebar? I cant think of an issue.

Oh, apart from the phone being £500 and I fall off and smash it - in which case maybe a dedicated GPS would be better.

Comments

• arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    I'd rather not impair one of my senses when out on my bike thanks so I wouldn't do it.
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • amityweb
    amityweb Posts: 44
    I knew someone would mention that. I can hear cars fine coming up behind with my music on as its not loud (not that I would know if they are passing me or crashing me anyway :) ).

So apart from that, any other issue?
  • r0b1et
    r0b1et Posts: 14
    I do it on quiet roads. Biggest problem is cord length, needs to be long enough to not keep pulling out, but not enough to get caught up anywhere.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    Just get a bluetooth adapter, should be about £7 on ebay
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • esdel
    esdel Posts: 28
    Mate it's not an issue, I always ride with my I pod blasting.

Just make sure the wire is not hanging to loose.
  • tootsie323
    tootsie323 Posts: 199
    I'd go with bluetooth; no concerns over cord length then!

Personally I'm not one to put earphones in when I'm out on the bike (or even when running) but that's just my bent.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Running yes, cycling no for me.

Never seen anyone with headphones attached to a bar mounted phone.
    I would find it annoying and uncomfortable (I cannot have cord loose/on show even when running) personally.

Lot of distractions (Nav + cord + music). Still being able to hear a bit is not enough in every situation IMO.
    Its your life though so if you are happy with the look just go for it :wink: