Value/Budget XC/Trail bike

Middleton27
Middleton27 Posts: 6
edited May 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hey guys, new to the forum and sort of new to mountain biking, have only been riding properly for the last 6 months.
Currently I have a Muddyfox Anarchy 100 26" but its starting to take a beating and I think an upgrade is in order, I only have a small budget of no more than £650 and was wondering if anyone has any strong recommendations for a great value Cross-Country/Trail MTB, preferably a hard tail, just personal preference.
Thanks guys, look forward to being a part of this great community!

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Have a look at the Decathlon Rockrider 8.1. Award winning bike.
  • I've heard good things about the rockrider's, I'll have a look into them abit more, thank you
  • oxocube1
    oxocube1 Posts: 651
    At that budget you can get a decent bike and have some money to spare in some cases. Have a look at the Voodoo Hoodoo and for a little more, the Boardman Comp. Both cracking bikes for the money, and as SS said the Rockriders are definitely worth considering also.
  • The hoodoo a looks okay, i like the look of the voodoo bizango also, the boardman and the rockrider are definitely the two best bikes in the price range i have seen, they look really good! looks like i better get saving haha :)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Well done at taking that MF offroad! The drivetrain is 'ok', but the fork must have been horrid!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Ferrals
    Ferrals Posts: 785
    Just a thought - but many bike shops do 0% finance, I was looking at a similar price bracket, but decided I really wanted a whyte 901 (considerably more), so I'm now paying £50 a month. by cycling to and from work i'm saving that on petrol so its win-win :D

If you are going to get into mtb in a big way might be better to spend more now rather than replace cheaper bits that will break quicker? (at least thats how I justified it to myself!)
  • Haha it's not the best but for a gift it'sll do for now, not the comfiest but to get used to mtbing it's nice, what I hate is my feet keep slipping off the pedals, they are mf metal pedals and I've worn 4 pairs of trainers with them but my feet always slip off it's so frustrating! Any ideas anyone? Sounds good ferrais, wouldn't work for me I only spend £10 bus fare to get to college a week so wouldn't be saving haha
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Metal pedals need proper screw through pins, if yours have 'cast pins' they will not work.

Plenty of budget options out there with proper pins, but I'd suggest either getting cheap used ones to start with or paying a little more for Superstar Nano's as they will last a lot longer.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • My pedals aren't great and they are very annoying, if I bought some nanos would I also have to buy a special pair of trainers? Or could I get away with wearing my every day muck around Adidas'?