edited September 2016 in Your mountain bikes
Yessss

20140201_000029_zpsf215e640.jpg

EDIT: finished
20140216_133859_zps38c37fa1.jpg

Comments

• BigAl
    BigAl Posts: 3,122
    So you finally hit that 'buy it' button!

Nice one.

Not ridden a BFe, but I'm sure you'll love it.

I was so tempted by a Soul, but the Duster was so much cheaper and enough for me
  • Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    My Revs are back with Merlin which is annoying because I cant build it! I have some old Zocchi Drop Offs which I might throw on jus t so I can get it going.
  • mrlee
    mrlee Posts: 499
    @lexD wrote:
    Well done welcome to the cotic clan 8)

What he said :D
  • Twelly
    Right, some proper pictures now.

As I said, my Revs are away with Merlin being fixed so being the impatient SOB I am, I am building it up as a temporary full on burly mentalist.

So far:
    Drop Off IV - 150mm travel, 20mm axle
    Sun Singletrack rims 25mm internal width
    Minion DHF and DHR Twin Ply DH ST tyres
    780mm Superstar bar
    70mm Exotic stem
    Reverb
    P1070063_zpsafdf46df.jpg
    P1070064_zps959a200f.jpg
    P1070066_zps0595009a.jpg
    P1070067_zps065e75e6.jpg
    P1070068_zpse44c8405.jpg
    P1070069_zps0ca1c73d.jpg
    P1070071_zps74b4e16b.jpg
    P1070072_zps35995d11.jpg

As it stands in the last picture it weights over 12kg! No drivetrain or brakes yet...

Still to come:
    XT cranks and BB
    XT rear mech
    Deore 10speed cassette
    SLX shifters
    Deore 615 brakes- SS Kevlar pads, 180/180

When I finally get my Revs back, it will then revert to do-it-all status with crests, lighter tyres and lighter, more XC orientated forks.
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Looks good so far 8)
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • Twelly
    Revs fixed and fitted, Groupset on, brakes on, ready to ride!

P1070078_zpsd074465a.jpg
    P1070081_zps866ce12f.jpg
    P1070082_zps3fee736c.jpg
    P1070083_zps0edfb4ad.jpg

Full spec:
    Frame: Cotic BFe (Large)
    Forks: Revelation RLT 150mm travel, 15mm maxle light
    Bars: 780mm Superstar
    Stem: 60mm Exotic Al
    Headset: Nukeproof
    Grips: Superstar

Front Brake: Deore 615
    Front Disc: Superstar 180mm
    Rear Brake: Deore 615
    Rear Disc: Superstar 180mm

Shifters: SLX
    Cables: Shimano
    Front Mech: Deore
    Rear Mech: XT (an XT Shadow+ will be on order next month probably)
    Chain Device: None yet

Seat: Charge Spoon
    Seat Post: Reverb (not stealth)
    Seat Post Clamp: Cotic QR (non QR will be ordered soon)

Cranks: XT
    Chainring(s): 38/24
    Chain: Clarks 10s
    Cassette: SLX
    Pedals: DMR Vault
    Bottom Bracket: XT HT2

Front Rim: Stans Crest 26"
    Front Hub: Superstar Switch Evo 15mm adapter
    Tire: GEAX Lobo Loco

Rear Rim: Stans Crest 26"
    Rear Hub: Superstar Switch Evo QR adapter
    Tire: Schwalbe Nobby Nic Pacestar Evo

Weight: About 13kg

Will take it out to check everything over on Saturday and then its first proper bashing will be Tuesday, cant wait.
  • Why crests??? Also slx shifters with an xt mech???

You're going to love it, the befe is awesome!!!!
  • Twelly
    Crests were on the previous bike and haven't let me down yet, so why not? and what's wrong with the shifters and mech? Again, its all transferred from other bikes, this is basically a collection of all my best bits from 2 or 3 bikes.

This is it now, no replacements unless something breaks... (famous last words)
  • Didn't realise they were reused parts!!! Nothing wrong with crests but flows would match the frame better.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    That looks awesome! I'm loving mine, shame it's off the road for a little while I have the back wheel rebuilt, Crests are awesome but I've been pretty unlucky with mine recently, guess it serves me right for following a BDS chap down a trail and forgetting I was on a hardtail :oops: I've got a black Hope bolted seat collar sat around btw if you're interested, brand new in packet, drop me a PM of you're interested :)
  • Twelly
    They have survived so far on the Meta and my riding won't really be changing so they should be fine. If I break one I will try something different but for now they are good.

PM'd you about the seat clamp
  • Twelly
    Maiden voyage, love it.
    The only down side is I am even more curious about a Soul. I have heard people describe the BFe as a bit of a lump and dead compared to the Soul but I think it rides great, god knows how good a Soul feels...
    20140216_140730_zpscdada868.jpg
    20140216_133907_zps53e564cf.jpg
    20140216_133859_zps38c37fa1.jpg
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    Classy
  • Twelly
    thanks! I think the white rims look a bit garish, would prefer something black with no decals but I'm not prepared to buy a new wheelset just for the colour!
  • Twelly
    Delivery from Slik Graphics today..
    P1070093_zps81555b8a.jpg

They are a pretty good match and looks spot on from a distance
    P1070096_zps128e7533.jpg
  • Twelly
    Couple of pictures from QECP the other day.
    20140313_173641_zpsf6b027b6.jpg
    20140313_173557_zpsd0117009.jpg
  • Very nice that!
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Lush bike! Also, those revs are probably a whole load more capable than those nasty old drop-offs ;)
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Twelly
    Haha yes they certainly are. To be fair the Drop Offs were very smooth on big stuff and felt bombproof like you could just roll into anything and flatten it but they were ridiculously heavy and easily confused by any sort of corner or repetitive hits. They have since gone to a new home thanks to eBay!
  • Twelly
    Oo shiny

20140501_114448_zpsf8jeocfg.jpg

20140501_115420_zpst2rfq1ly.jpg[/url]
  • Twelly
    Just gone tubeless on the front wheel. I don't know why everyone moans about it, took 10 minutes, no mess and has gone up first time and staying up at 40psi. Will drop to around 25 before I ride and go from there. Might crack on with the back wheel in a bit.
  • ej2320
    ej2320 Posts: 1,543
    I went tubeless too! No issues

Just be careful not to drop the pressure too low, I was running about 18-20 psi in my rear on a muddy DH run, managed to pull the tyre off the rim and filled the tyre with mud..

Great bike, I'd love a Cotic to mess around on!
  • Twelly
    edited May 2014
    First visit to Wales this weekend, BPW on Friday, Coed Y Brenin on Saturday and back to BPW this morning. Shot from BPW (Sixtapod)

AJ0P0243-ZF-3873-74452-1-001_zpsca7a37d3.jpg

I guess this is the first time I have really pushed the BFe as hard as I am able to. I was just stunned how planted it felt when I kept pushing the speed over rocks, air time and cornering speed past my limits. 'Confidence inspiring' is the cliché that suits best. Awesome weekend, awesome bike.

As far as spec goes:
    I have changed the tyres - The Geax Lobo Loco is now on the back (with a tube), Minion DHF on the front (tubeless). Soooo much grip!
    Either the rear mech or the mech hanger has been bent at some point this weekend. I am hoping it's the mech so I have an excuse to buy an XT Shadow+.
    The Crests are still holding up well even after the relentless rocks and drops of 'The Beast' at Coed Y Brenin.. either I need to ride harder or they aren't as fragile as everyone thinks. Maybe both.
    Other than the above and some fresh Kevlar brake pads, nothing else has changed recently, it's perfect for me as it is.

Probably not the most exciting video on the interweb but for anyone who cares: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WG4KTam2OWw
  • lawman
    Thought I recognised your bike at BPW on Friday! The trails there are awesome, which did you ride?

As well as my crests have held up, barring one freak accident, I'd like some stronger and stiffer wheels, could feel the back wheel flexing all over the place in some places on Friday!
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    I wouldn't bother with the xt shadow +. Slx shadow + or even deore shadow + work just as well.
  • Twelly
    Ha I saw your Mojo by the cafe and was very tempted to shout Lawman but didn't for fear of looking like a crazy person.

Did Sixtapod/Willy Waver twice. Was going to move on to Wibbly Wobbly but the blue run was so good we decided to do it again but faster. Awesome place though can't wait to go back and try more.

I was too busy screaming like a teenage girl and holding on to worry about wheel flex ha.
  • lawman
    TwellySmat wrote:
    Ha I saw your Mojo by the cafe and was very tempted to shout Lawman but didn't for fear of looking like a crazy person.

Did Sixtapod/Willy Waver twice. Was going to move on to Wibbly Wobbly but the blue run was so good we decided to do it again but faster. Awesome place though can't wait to go back and try more.

I was too busy screaming like a teenage girl and holding on to worry about wheel flex ha.

Yeah the blue is super fun, very flowy! Was trying to get something that resembled a whip over some of the jumps down there then decided to hit the reds and did one black section too, which was a little scary! The other blue, melted welly was great fun too, and the red that splits off it was pretty gnarly, some steep switchbacks followed by a super flowy blue section back to the cafe. I had a great day, can't wait to go back! :D
  • Twelly
    Think I'm heading back in June, as long as I can get it off work. Going to book an uplift ticket this time. We did the climb twice on Friday and it ruins your legs.
  • lawman
    TwellySmat wrote:
    Think I'm heading back in June, as long as I can get it off work. Going to book an uplift ticket this time. We did the climb twice on Friday and it ruins your legs.

Definitely worth doing the uplift, no chance was I riding up each run! I took the day relatively steady and had to wait for a few mechanicals as there was a decent sized group of us from the uni but still got 10 runs in and 20 odd miles of descending :shock: I say steady but even so I was dead by the end of the day, last 3 runs were hard work!!