38 or 50?

Camcycle1974
Camcycle1974 Posts: 1,356
edited May 2014 in Road buying advice
I know the naysayers will say neither but given a choice between 38mm and 50mm carbon clinchers which would you opt for to ride on the predominantly flat roads of Cambridgeshire? Or is it purely a question of aesthetics/vanity? :oops:

Comments

• Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991
    depends entirely on the frame IMO.

a skinnier tubed steel or alu frame tends to look better with 38s (or even shallower)

on chunky or aero carbon frames, 50-60 (or even 80s) can look boss

so yes, purely a question of aesthetics
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    If you're a light rider riding a 50mm rim in a strong crosswind, then you can easily find yourself half-way across a road with a big gust. I'm quite happy using 40mm rims for road racing - unless you're a heavy rider and doing TTs, then the shallower rims are better for all-round use IME.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    Flat roads in Cambridge I suspect makes for occasional nasty side winds - certainly did when we had our annual work cycle day last May! If that holds true, I'd suggest sticking with the 38mm rims - preferably the newer wider type eg Zipp Firecrest.

Peter
  • gavbarron
    gavbarron Posts: 824
    How light is light? I race at about 68kg and have never found 50mm to be a handful in winds.
    (I live in norfolk so wind is a daily feature)
  • designman
    designman Posts: 405
    Can you get 38mm carbon clinchers?
    I thought most were 35mm.
  • duckson
    duckson Posts: 961
    designman wrote:
    Can you get 38mm carbon clinchers?
    I thought most were 35mm.

Yes.
    Cheers, Stu
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    50. no question. otherwise why bother
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    38mm front with a 50mm rear.
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    Neither. The roads around Cambs are in pi55 poor condition at the mo. The only bit of decent tarmac is the pedestrian path next to the busway.
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • Camcycle1974
    Thanks fellas. Conflicting opinions then! They will be going on a Ribble 872 so a chunky carbon frame. Originally had my mind set on 38's but having seen an 872 with 50's on it does look pretty good. Wind is the main problem and the crap roads as Jordan alludes to. When riding along at 25mph on a summmers evening these things become insignificant. I am usually between 75-78kg so no lightweight.
  • Camcycle1974
    50. no question. otherwise why bother

Care to elaborate FJ?
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    Ok, if your curiosity re: deep wheels stems from their aerodynamic attributes then yes, you can feel them. They absolutely increase your terminal velocity vs shallow wheels all other things being equal.

50 is better than 38 b/c it'll give you more effect. In 2013 I spent a lot of money and bought 303 firecrests and 404 firecrests to actually ride 2 sets of wheels to see which I liked better, knowing I could easily sell them.

I preferred the 404s b/c they were 'more' than the 303s - they were simply faster. In the end I settled on a 303 front and 404 rear which I kinda regret as being overly conservative b/c at my weight the 404 front was quite controllable and I miss the feeling. For a longer event like a 100 mile sportive, I'd always ride the 404s.

If you want aero, go aero, don't go halfway was the lesson I learned. Of course you can buy 808s if you want but that's a lot of wheel.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • Camcycle1974
    Well, glad I asked you to elaborate! Thanks for the succinct and helpful answer. I mainly ride 100 mile, not particularly hilly sportives and fast-paced group rides in and around Cambridge so the 50's should give me the most benefit. I was looking at the 38's for their low weight and a little aero benefit but given that the 50's are only about 75g more for the set I guess they make more sense?
  • Camcycle1974
    After much deliberation I went for 38's (for mainly cosmetic reasons, I just prefer the slightly subtler look) Ordered from China on April 8th and they arrived yesterday (nearly two weeks in customs- I had to pay a charge to release them). First impressions are good having had a bit of a battle to get the tyres on. Not ridden them yet but they do look nice on my Ribble 872 which was 1/2 the point of buying them. Will post some pics of them on my bike when I get a mo.
  • 38's or 45's
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Camcycle1974
    38's. Measure 40mm. 23mm wide. 1300g bare weight. Lost 1/2 a kilo off my bike via the wheels which I am sure will make all the difference!
  • kim10
    kim10 Posts: 186
    @ Camcycle1974 Just over the boarder from you in Suffolk! - I was having the same dilemma but in the end I went for 50mm carbon clinchers, also from China.
    Only ordered them last week so not arrived yet. We can always swap notes once ridden for a few rides to see if we made the right decision!
  • Camcycle1974
    Kim10 wrote:
    @ Camcycle1974 Just over the boarder from you in Suffolk! - I was having the same dilemma but in the end I went for 50mm carbon clinchers, also from China.
    Only ordered them last week so not arrived yet. We can always swap notes once ridden for a few rides to see if we made the right decision!

Yes, that would be an interesting comparison. Mine were actually in the UK within a week but it then took Customs another two weeks to sort out import duty etc. Get in touch with them as soon as you hear there is a charge to pay and you can then get them delivered. I tracked mine on a daily basis :lol: Rode them into work today. First impressions good, they roll well and make a nice whirring noise!
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    Pics? Did you go for clinchers in the end? Given the crosswinds around here I think 38's are a wise choice.
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    gavbarron wrote:
    How light is light? I race at about 68kg and have never found 50mm to be a handful in winds.

I have always thought that the 50mm/crosswind thing had a bit of scaremongering about it.

Does weight make that much difference anyway? The wheel is still going to turn so would have thought strength, stem length and experience would have a bigger impact.

You can get a crosswind anywhere can't you? So not sure it matters that much where you live.
    Just get them and see. You can sell them on and put it down to experience if it does not work.

Think I would take up kite surfing if I lived somewhere too windy to cycle.
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,804
    Ok, if your curiosity re: deep wheels stems from their aerodynamic attributes then yes, you can feel them. They absolutely increase your terminal velocity vs shallow wheels all other things being equal.

50 is better than 38 b/c it'll give you more effect. In 2013 I spent a lot of money and bought 303 firecrests and 404 firecrests to actually ride 2 sets of wheels to see which I liked better, knowing I could easily sell them.

I preferred the 404s b/c they were 'more' than the 303s - they were simply faster. In the end I settled on a 303 front and 404 rear which I kinda regret as being overly conservative b/c at my weight the 404 front was quite controllable and I miss the feeling. For a longer event like a 100 mile sportive, I'd always ride the 404s.

If you want aero, go aero, don't go halfway was the lesson I learned. Of course you can buy 808s if you want but that's a lot of wheel.

303 FC's are 48mm deep. 'Testing' has shown that there's pretty much feck all between a 303 and 404 in terms of aero benefits - one of the reasons why the 303 outsells the 404 now.
  • Camcycle1974
    jordan_217 wrote:
    Pics? Did you go for clinchers in the end? Given the crosswinds around here I think 38's are a wise choice.

Yep, clinchers. I will do some photos on a proper camera and get them loaded. Tyres were a right PITA to fit, hope I don't get a pun*****!
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,447
    Carbonator wrote:
    gavbarron wrote:

I have always thought that the 50mm/crosswind thing had a bit of scaremongering about it.

Does weight make that much difference anyway? The wheel is still going to turn so would have thought strength, stem length and experience would have a bigger impact.

You can get a crosswind anywhere can't you? So not sure it matters that much where you live.
    Just get them and see. You can sell them on and put it down to experience if it does not work.

Think I would take up kite surfing if I lived somewhere too windy to cycle.

My bike came with Planet X 52mm carbon clinchers. Several times I was pushed all over the place by strong, gusting crosswinds, and near the top of Holme moss I was actually pushed off the road onto the grass. Fair enough the wind was very strong up there, but since selling them and changing to 24mm rims the bike feels far more stable in crosswinds. I'm 72/73kg so not massively light either.