boo-hoo look at my broken bike

blu3cat
blu3cat Posts: 1,016
edited May 2014 in Commuting chat
As promised in the SCR thread, here is a thread about my ex bike.

I plowed into the back of a car at 25mph (or there abouts) this morning, due to the car having much better brakes than me, and this is the result:

{Please look away if you are squeamish:}
13977981931_52a1b55a39.jpg

The down tube is creased and split as well as the top tube snapping just behind the weld.

some have indicated they think this may be a faulty frame, but I am not so sure how far a warranty replacement will go with a crash involved. Anyone with similar experience of claiming on their warranty after a crash, I would value your input.
"Bed is for sleepy people.
Let's get a kebab and go to a disco."

FCN = 3 - 5
Colnago World Cup 2

Comments

• Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    The poor thing!

If it wasn't crash damage and wasn't your fault you might be able to claim under warranty...
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    its worth looking at your home insurance, it might cover accidental damage
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • blu3cat
    dammit, no to both of the above.

FCN = 3 - 5
    Colnago World Cup 2
  • itboffin
    if its makes you feel any better my stupidity last week has cost me about £1100
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • blu3cat
    itboffin wrote:

What did you do?

FCN = 3 - 5
    Colnago World Cup 2
  • mr_evil
    mr_evil Posts: 234
    I don't think any frame would survive a crash like that at 25mph. Hitting something with the front wheel can damage the fork or frame at even quite low speeds.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    I hit a kerb head on at 25mph. The bike was completely fine (columbus steel though).

two of my teeth however were smashed.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • itboffin
    blu3cat wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

What did you do?

hmmm its easier to explain in person, come along to one of our drinks at the 'Peth or Roebuck
  • blu3cat
    itboffin wrote:
    blu3cat wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

What did you do?

hmmm its easier to explain in person, come along to one of our drinks at the 'Peth or Roebuck

and how the F**K do I get there now? ;)

may well do, although kiddies and subsiding major work meltdown mean it's not going to be soon.

FCN = 3 - 5
    Colnago World Cup 2
  • blu3cat
    elbowloh wrote:
    I hit a kerb head on at 25mph. The bike was completely fine (columbus steel though).

mmmmm steel. Been looking at XCR or 853 and 953 and wishing I didn't have to save up for other stuff.

FCN = 3 - 5
    Colnago World Cup 2
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    elbowloh wrote:

I fairly recently went over a car bonnet at 25mph (it pulled out across the bus lane) and as far as I can tell, apart from a few scratches and very mild buckling of front wheel there was essentially no damage. I think that at last moment before impact I turned the handle bars which pre-launched me....
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • Doris Day
    Doris Day Posts: 83
    Give it a 'Viking Funeral' it's what the poor bike deserves :(

How come your bike is not insured (or did i read your post wrong)
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,249
    blu3cat wrote:
    and how the F**K do I get there now? ;)
    This is why you always need at least 2 bikes.
    I was in Sigma Sport with the EPO on Monday and she said something about me having too many bikes with 3. The guy serving us said "only 3, I'm sorry." I said I fancied a Seven but would have to get to 6 bikes before I could have a Seven. At which point the EPO said after I sell the motorbike. So If I sell my motorbike I can buy 4 more bicycles is my understanding. She did change her mind when she saw the price tag though.
  • blu3cat
    Doris Day wrote:
    Give it a 'Viking Funeral' it's what the poor bike deserves :(

How come your bike is not insured (or did i read your post wrong)

I like the idea of a viking funeral, already have someone who would like the groupset (it's only done about 2000 miles), so wheels and frame. I could scatter the ashes along the CS7, it's what it would have wanted. :D

It's not insured as I had my previous bike long past the R.O.I. for it as a commuter, and if it got nicked / trashed (which is what happened), I could go and buy a nice new shiny one. I then didn't insure the new one, again another lesson learned.

FCN = 3 - 5
    Colnago World Cup 2
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    blu3cat wrote:
    I then didn't insure the new one, again another lesson learned.
    It's a gamble - what did you save in not insuring it ... ?

You could just get a new frame and move all the stuff on to that ... :)
  • blu3cat
    Slowbike wrote:
    blu3cat wrote:

I saved about the cost of a Van Nicholas Crash replacement frame over the course of a few years :roll:

Wheels are shot, and needs a new fork as well. looking at a big bill to get it up and running, or I know someone who is looking for a second hand Gruppo, and when I have sold the bits to them, I can get a shiny new bike for about the same cost (with much better brakes :wink: )

FCN = 3 - 5
    Colnago World Cup 2
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    blu3cat wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:
    blu3cat wrote:

I saved about the cost of a Van Nicholas Crash replacement frame over the course of a few years :roll:

Wheels are shot, and needs a new fork as well. looking at a big bill to get it up and running, or I know someone who is looking for a second hand Gruppo, and when I have sold the bits to them, I can get a shiny new bike for about the same cost (with much better brakes :wink: )

Sorted ! :)
  • Doris Day
    Doris Day Posts: 83
    Maybe book Wembley Stadium ' for a farwell concert. Have the red arrows do a fly by.
    Just don't get Paul McCartney!

Or you could take the frame to a taxidermist and mount it over the fireplace. It could get handed down through the generations and eventually end up on 'Antiques Roadshow'
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    The damage to my old frame doesn't look as spectacular as yours but it is equally as much a show stopper

http://audaxing.wordpress.com/2011/12/2 ... -dead-but/

However, I managed to get it welded up and I am still riding it.

Try the warrantee route first
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    vorsprung wrote:
    The damage to my old frame doesn't look as spectacular as yours but it is equally as much a show stopper

http://audaxing.wordpress.com/2011/12/2 ... -dead-but/

However, I managed to get it welded up and I am still riding it.

Try the warrantee route first

With the best will in the world, no warranty is going to regard the consequences of ploughing into a car at 25mph as a manufacturing defect! OP gets kudos for the cheek of asking but the outcome was inevitable (unless the manufacturer was clinically insane - in which case I wouldn't want a warranty replacement frame from them! :lol: ).
    Faster than a tent.......
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    Rolf, I guess you are right! Even the most lapse of warrantee replacements are not going to go for that.

Also thinking about the damage, it seems pretty severe and is probably beyond repair