Headset Bearings

MrJim007
MrJim007 Posts: 64
edited May 2014 in Workshop
Evening all,

I am replacing the headset on a 2009/10 Felt Z85 and ordered an FSA Orbit 36 to do the job. The only info on the headset from the Felt website is that it an 1x1/8 intergrated headset. The Orbit looked to fit the bill which it does apart from the lower bearing. Both bearings that came with the Orbit are 36x45 but the lower bearing does not sit up inside the headtube properly, theres approx 5mm or so poking out the bottom.

Unfortunately when removing the fork the old cartridge bearing fell apart as it was that knackered, so I couldn't glean any info from it. Would a 36x36 bearing do the trick? Can someone tell me if these are slightly smaller?

Cheers.

Comments

• wishitwasallflat
    wishitwasallflat Posts: 2,927
    36 or 45 refers to angle where bearings interfaces with the crown race and compression ring not the height of the bearings, as the old one disintegrated are you sure there isn't a bit still in the head tube? I ask cause I have seen various heights for bearings but they seem to range from 6.3mm minimum to 8mm max for road bike headsets ... So even if you had the wrong road bike bearing height I can't see how you could end up with it sticking out by 5mm unless there is something else in there?

If you haven't try the Cane Creek headset fit finder it may help id if you have the correct bearings.
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    As above. When a bearing falls to bits the outer ring is nearly always left in the head tube and can be very difficult to remove. You must ensure that the bearings are the same size and angle as the old ones.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • MrJim007
    MrJim007 Posts: 64
    Cheers for the replies guys.
    I have just got home and had a quick look and you are both bang on. There is indeed the top cover of the old bearing still in there, ive just levered it out and the new one fits in a treat!!
    Sometimes you just need someone to point out the obvious to you!! :D
  • wishitwasallflat
    wishitwasallflat Posts: 2,927
    MrJim007 wrote:
    Cheers for the replies guys.
    I have just got home and had a quick look and you are both bang on. There is indeed the top cover of the old bearing still in there, ive just levered it out and the new one fits in a treat!!
    Sometimes you just need someone to point out the obvious to you!! :D

Brilliant! Glad to hear it's sorted.