£3000 to spend but.....

sy1975
sy1975 Posts: 95
edited May 2014 in Road buying advice
I currently have a Wilier Izoard XP with campag veloce - 3 years fantastic bike - still going strong but want to step up.

Have my heart set on the De Rosa King - in a sky blue 2014 colourway (see slane cycles) frame set is £2300 RRP - will probably put Athena groupset on £900 RRP - I reckon I can get local bike shop to supply for around £3000.

However they have a fully made up Wilier cento 1 with Athena - Fulcrum 3 and FSA kit in grey and red...that is in shop for £3k, so recon I can get a deal. Its turned my head...although I really love the King in blue and Ive already owned a wilier.

Any other great deals or advice on what else would offer the same level of frame, groupset or complete bike. I know the list of manufactures are endless and I prefer Italian or smaller suppliers....

But its a lot to spend and this will be my summer / sundays / no rain ride so i ant it to be the best it can be.

Advice would be appreciated...
Sunny Days - De Rosa - King RS Action Azzurro lumina
Rain - Winter - Wilier - xp izoard "petacchi"
Classic - 1999 De Rosa - Planet - Aluminio

Comments

• Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991
    sy1975 wrote:
    Have my heart set on the De Rosa King

go for it and don't look back
  • paul1000
    paul1000 Posts: 190
    Get it, I've got a superking and love it, that blue is lovely, you'll regret it if you don't, When you see all those wiliers and canyons.
  • sy1975
    Thanks. Think you are right...
  • upperoilcan
    upperoilcan Posts: 1,180
    DiscoBoy wrote:

Looool,Canyon fanboys at it again.
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    For £850 you could get a Chorus Groupset, a bit more inline with the quality of the DeRosa frame you are looking at.

A Canyon with fishing tackle on it is not really as aspirational as a DeRosa King with Campag on it, well, perhaps it is for some people. It's good value though and there's little doubt is a very good bike too.
  • IrishMac
    IrishMac Posts: 328
    Go with whatever you think looks the best, it's the single most important thing, after that all the other details will fall into place.
    Shop around for the gruppo, there's always good deals just waiting to be found ;)
    Member of Cuchulainn C.C. @badcyclist

Raleigh SP Race
    Trek 1.2
  • DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905
    DiscoBoy wrote:

Looool,Canyon fanboys at it again.

That's an odd comment to make to someone who neither owns nor desires a Canyon bicycle.
    Red bikes are the fastest.
  • Get the De Rosa. That's what I'd buy! And as another person suggested, spend a bit more and get Chorus.
  • Miles253
    Miles253 Posts: 535
    That De Rosa is lovely, get it, there will be no what ifs
    Canyon Roadlite AL-Shamal Wheels-Centaur/Veloce Group
    Canyon Ult CF SL- Spin Koppenberg-Ultegra group
  • upperoilcan
    DiscoBoy wrote:

That's an odd comment to make to someone who neither owns nor desires a Canyon bicycle.

No more odd than someone who posts a complete random bike into the mix,considering the OP was asking about a Willier and a De Rosa.
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905
    DiscoBoy wrote:

No more odd than someone who posts a complete random bike into the mix,considering the OP was asking about a Willier and a De Rosa.

He asks for other recommendations, which I gave. What was your contribution?
    Red bikes are the fastest.
  • mfin
    DiscoBoy wrote:
    DiscoBoy wrote:

To be fair the OP did say:
    Any other great deals or advice on what else would offer the same level of frame, groupset or complete bike. I know the list of manufactures are endless and I prefer Italian or smaller suppliers

...and before that he'd listed two example bikes which have Campag. You'd posted a bike with Shimano that doesn't really fit what he's saying he is looking for at all.
  • upperoilcan
    DiscoBoy wrote:

So you clearly state than you do not own a Canyon or have the desire to buy one yet are happy to push it on to someone else ?

Based on what exactly ? Im assuming you must of read a review or two ?

Unless i have experience of such bikes i tend to keep quiet,after all no point putting the cat amongst the pigeons based or reviews or hearsay or indeed posting a bike equipped with Shimano when the OP clearly has a liking for Campy.
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • If I was in the market with 3k I would be seriously thinking of one of these.

http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m7b0s6p516 ... ACING-2013
  • sy1975
    If I was in the market with 3k I would be seriously thinking of one of these.

http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m7b0s6p516 ... ACING-2013

That looks like a fantastic deal - just not sure on a cannondale, although its got a fantastic set up

as others have said I think i am more focused on a italian frame and its got to be campy really....If I can get the De Rosa in blue I think I am sold.
  • pashda
    pashda Posts: 99
    slightly over your budget but what about the Bianchi Infinito CV with athena. I do like the look of those de Rosa though.
  • paul1000
    Oh dear, my de rosa's dura ace.
  • sy1975
    Paul1000 wrote:
    Oh dear, my de rosa's dura ace.

Italian frame should have italian groupset IMHO
  • Dodger747
    Dodger747 Posts: 305
    But it'll be made in Taiwan like almost every other frame...?
    VO2 Max - 79 ml/kg/min
    W/kg - 4.9
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    And the likes of Colnago/Wilier/Pinarello etc don't give a toss what kit you hang on it. Isn't the Colnago C59 now at a lower price with the arrival of the C60?
    M.Rushton
  • sy1975
    mrushton wrote:
    And the likes of Colnago/Wilier/Pinarello etc don't give a toss what kit you hang on it. Isn't the Colnago C59 now at a lower price with the arrival of the C60?

C59 italia still around £3000 just for frameset :roll:

I agree that you see a lot of the italian frames now with other gruppo's just feel that they need campy on (especially the top end frames) - but you could then say that it should be record all the way (budget does not allow however) - its what im used to and what i like so personal preference really.
  • paul1000
    I have no problem putting shimano on a Italian bike, neither has dave brailsford, all the high end de Rosas made in Italy.
  • mfin
    C59 is only £3000 if you don't shop around, although of course it's not cheap by any means.
  • sy1975
    Paul1000 wrote:
    I have no problem putting shimano on a Italian bike, neither has dave brailsford, all the high end de Rosas made in Italy.

Fair point, but the fact that sky have shimano group sets is more likely down to who was willing to pay the most to kit out their bikes.

Most high end De Rosa seem to come with campag? Those that I. Have seen built up seem to...but you are right it's purely personal preference. You are either campag or shimano it seems....
  • buzzwold
    buzzwold Posts: 197
    Please send me your £3000 so that I can take the agony of making the decision away from you. It can only be stressful getting all this advice.
    Someone's just passed me again