Chain keeps slipping on new bike

Rodebrecht
Rodebrecht Posts: 9
edited May 2014 in Workshop
I just got my bike today, it's a Felt F95. However, on two specific gears (both beside each other) the chain keeps slipping whenever I pedal. It's every 10-15 seconds or so that this happens.

It happens both on the big ring and the small ring and I have no idea what is going on. It's not wear because I just got it...

Anyone have any ideas?

Comments

• t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Search for indexing gears on you tube/ google. It's probably your rear derailleur that is slightly out of line or needs cable tension adjusting
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • a.a. sounds most likely that the rear mech is not set up perfectly - not uncommon on new bikes. If you don't know how to index gears time to learn as it's a vital skill (will save you a fortune cause an lbs will charge around £10 or so for this really simple job).
  • PhunkyPhil
    PhunkyPhil Posts: 143
    Is it a brand new bike or a 2nd hand bike which is new to you?
  • It's a brand new bike.

Even if the sprockets that the chain skips on aren't any of the end ones, can it still be indexing problems?
  • Found it. It's a stiff chain link.

It won't move by lateral bending or lubing, so I'm assuming I have to go out and buy a chain tool.

What a chore.
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    If it is brand new why not take it back to the retailer and get them to fix it? Should be free of charge.

PP
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Bought from Wiggle? Not so easy to send it back just because of a stiff link.

Try bending and loosening the link by twisting it sideways, otherwise a bit of fettling with a chain link tool (the tinest of turns) should sort it.

Actually you have an opportunity..if the chain does not have a chainlink in it, you could remove the offending half-link and replace it with a chainlink (KMC quicklink).
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    a KMC quicklink is a good idea - but a chaintool is a good device to have in the toolbox anyway - even better to have one on a multi-tool in your saddlebag ...

To slacken the link a 1/4 to 1/2 turn of the chaintool one side followed by the same on the other should fix it.