Advice on Replacing Frame

r3hxn
r3hxn Posts: 127
edited May 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi guys,

so after receiving advice against trying to repair a dent in my frames chain stay, I was advised replacing it altogether was the best option. Decided it would be a nice side project, but need a little bit of advice.
the bike I have is this Cannondale 2002 F900, but everything is in excellent condition apart from the frame, its been in storage for near 8 years.

http://www.bikepedia.com/quickbike/Bike ... el=F900+SL

I don't need detailed answers, but just a few pointers in the right direction so I can begin my research.

-When i am considering swapping out this frame for a new one, what are the key things I need to consider so that I can use as much of the old bike as possible?

- realistically, what parts do you think I should be able to re-use / or best not use.

-With the above points in mind, would I be able to swap the frame for a Full suspension without too much technical issues to consider?

you may of realized from my questions that I am a bit of a newbie. But am hoping this side project will be a good learning experience.

many thanks in advanced.

Cannondale Cx2 Hybrid
Scott Scale - Custom mtb - Work in progress

Comments

• TJ20862
    TJ20862 Posts: 78
    Im not sure but your bike has a 11/2 headset which is specific to those forks, so you will need to get a frame which matches to the headset you already have, you may be able to buy different types of 11/2 headsets (integrated, semi integrated or standard) but i dont know, correct me if im wrong guys? or you can buy some new forks?
    but most of the other parts will all fit bar maybe seat post and bottom bracket but they are relativity inexpensive
    hope that helps
  • r3hxn
    thanks, that most definitely is a big help.At the very least its pointed me in the direction of investigating headset differences.

Cannondale Cx2 Hybrid
  • r3hxn
    The other main question I have i guess is, if I swap out the frame & fork for something with full Suspension. Is there anything else to consider with regards to re-using parts?

Cannondale Cx2 Hybrid
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Just the same as with any other frame. Some will fit others will not.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    nicklouse wrote:
    Just the same as with any other frame. Some will fit others will not.
    and I mean that it can range from everything fitting to nothing fitting.

Measure. Read.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown