Norman Harris Memorial Road Race

Pross
Pross Posts: 40,207
edited February 2015 in Amateur race
Just a shameless plug for my 2nd edition of this race on 4 May (Bank Holiday weekend). It's a 67 mile Regional A based in Usk, Monmouthshire with 4 and a bit circuits of a 16 mile course including a longish, steady climb (5 ascents but the first will be neutralised).

I know a few people on here rode last year's event. The finish this year has moved so that it is much closer to the top of the climb to hopefully split things up and make it easier for the judges!

Comments

• Pross
    Course details

coursemap_zps9cd1924b.png

profile_zpsc16eae08.jpg
  • ju5t1n
    ju5t1n Posts: 2,028
    I'm in :)
  • Pross
    Accepted. 6 riders already and a really strong field. I'm a bit confused as I thought a couple of them are 1st cats. One day I'll understand the BC category system!!
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    Ah nice. Count me in Pross. Great organisation and circuit last year.
  • ju5t1n
    Pross wrote:
    6 riders already and a really strong field
    A strong field of 6 suits me fine :)

Points down to 20th? :)
  • Pross
    7 now ;-) really pleased how quickly it's filling up though and nice to see some riders back from last year. I think a few riders will be disappointed if they don't get their skates on. There are a lot of new road races on the calendar in Wales this season which is great to see. I was worried there would be less with more people taking the circuit race option instead.

David, just been looking at your points - that's a seriously impressive start to the season, you'll be a 1st cat by June at this rate!!
  • DHTT
    DHTT Posts: 345
    Sent a message to a team mate, all being well should enter within next few days :-)
  • DavidJB
    Pross wrote:
    7 now ;-) really pleased how quickly it's filling up though and nice to see some riders back from last year. I think a few riders will be disappointed if they don't get their skates on. There are a lot of new road races on the calendar in Wales this season which is great to see. I was worried there would be less with more people taking the circuit race option instead.

David, just been looking at your points - that's a seriously impressive start to the season, you'll be a 1st cat by June at this rate!!

Hi Mate,

Thanks.

I'm taking some time off of racing in Late March/April as I'm getting married and going on honeymoon so no chance of a first cat by June unfortunately :) In fact this will be my first race back!
  • Pross
    Jeez, don't do that! I'll take you off the start sheet now to save doing it later. It was 13 years before I got to race again after getting married :wink:
  • DavidJB
    Haha no chance! I'll make a cycling prenup.
  • Pross
    Full field and 15 reserves for this on Sunday. A strong field too with several borderline 1st cats (including a World Masters track champ), a couple of NFTO UCI riders and the reserve list includes Dani King, Ben Luckwell and Julian Winn. Sometimes I'm glad I'm organising and not racing! It even looks like the weather will be kind again :)
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Great job there Pross!
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • DavidJB
    Great race.

Thanks for organising Mark.
  • ju5t1n
    Yes, I second that. That’s a good circuit. Lovely area. Great weather too. Thanks for organising
  • Pross
    Glad you both enjoyed it. I need to review the course for next year as it's got so busy in Usk with lots of parked cars. There's another road to the top of the prime hill that cuts the town out but it's too narrow so I'm looking at another possible circuit (it's lumpy!). I'll have the full results out soon, managed to get everyone who finished within about a minute of the winner so down to 41st place.
  • ju5t1n
    Yay, 6th place :)
  • Pross
    Yep, well done. The finish did its job, bunch sprint of sorts but the biggest cluster was 5 riders. The judging was about the easiest I've ever done :)

Can't believe some git stole one of the chequered flags from the finish at some point during the race!
  • Pross
    I've found a new course for next year. Hopefully the club committee will give me the go ahead to run it and use the new course I have planned and I will then run it through Welsh Cycling (as far as I'm aware it's never been used before which seems bizarre!). It's potentially the best road race loop I've seen - HQ with showers right on the course, lovely finish area with a good straight and plenty of room for spectators just after the climb (which is actually two climbs that both hit around 10% with a short downhill section between them), very little urban area, decent width quiet B roads. The only downside is it's a bit further for club members to travel to help out but convenient for you people from across the bridge.
  • ju5t1n
    Hi Pross.
    Just planning my races and keen to ride this one again. Do you have a date yet?
    Cheers,
    Justin
  • DavidJB
    Think Pross said the course needed to change (after the tractor fun last year)...I hope he puts a big old hill in :)
  • Pross
    Unfortunately I won't be running it this year. I applied for my normal date (May Day bank holiday weekend) but Welsh Cycling chose to give the date to the Welsh Champs instead even though they are traditionally later in May. Apparently that was the only date the person who offered to run the Champs could do. I had that date as it gives me a family / recovery day after spending the Saturday and Sunday doing race stuff so didn't take an alternative. Hopefully back next year.

I have a possible replacement course in mind but need to get a few people to check if they think it's suitable. If it had run this year it would have been back on the same course as last year. It's amazing with all the great roads in the area how hard it is to find a safe, challenging circuit. There's always a road on one side of four that's too narrow or a dangerous bend at the bottom of a high speed descent. I gave 3 or 4 courses that are nearly perfect but all have something I feel makes them too unsafe.
  • DavidJB
    Thats two races I was looking forward to this year not going ahead :( Maybe next year!
  • Also keen to see if this is happening again this year!