Chapeau! MerlinCycles

curium
curium Posts: 815
edited May 2014 in Workshop
Just wanted to acknowledge the uncomplicated manner in which Merlin handled my recent tyre issue.

I ordered a Schwalbe Ultremo tyre from them in September 2013 but didn't fit it to my bike till April 2014.

After less than 200 miles I noticed that the inner-tube was bulging through a small hole in the sidewall away from the contact surface.

I contacted Merlin who asked that I return the tyre to them for inspection. Once they'd received the tyre they agreed to replace it.

Couldn't ask for more really.

Comments

• PhunkyPhil
    PhunkyPhil Posts: 143
    I think that's cheeky sending it back as I think most people have punctured a new tyre when riding on dirty roads this time of year.
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    Was it one of the dodgy Ultremo's though? Didn't Schwalbe do a recall/replacement program at some stage as the sidewalls on the Mk1 version were proving dodgy? Hence the r1?

I sold a set of wheels to Smidsy a few years ago and they had Durano S tyres fitted. After 6 months usage the sidewalls were cracking around the 'Durano S' logo. Smidsy contacted Schwalbe CS and got a replacement set of tyres…..
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    PhunkyPhil wrote:
    I think that's cheeky sending it back as I think most people have punctured a new tyre when riding on dirty roads this time of year.

What was said was "After less than 200 miles I noticed that the inner-tube was bulging through a small hole in the sidewall away from the contact surface".

So, a sidewall failure, not a puncture.
  • PhunkyPhil
    PhunkyPhil Posts: 143
    rafletcher wrote:
    PhunkyPhil wrote:

What was said was "After less than 200 miles I noticed that the inner-tube was bulging through a small hole in the sidewall away from the contact surface".

You can puncture a side wall if you slip off the road or clip something sticking out from the verb like a stick/rock.
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    PhunkyPhil wrote:
    rafletcher wrote:
    PhunkyPhil wrote:

You can puncture a side wall if you slip off the road or clip something sticking out from the verb like a stick/rock.

Hence why Merlin Cycles asked to see the tyre before issueing a replacement. :roll: